230v generators and alternators

JonA

Featured Posts

Colin I am not on the boat and don't actually have the instruction manual to hand. I seem to recall it contains a schematic drawing which refers to the "AC in" terminals and says words to the effect of "AC in from shorline or genny" I don't recall any mention of splitting these supplies beforehand. In all honestly though the booklet is pretty dreadful reading and perhaps I have therefore misunderstood it. As I said I am still fitting out and will take your advice anyway.

29316[/snapback]

David and Julie

AC in from shoreline OR genny, OR being the operative word, I suspect the definition of this means one or the other only, and not both together. To be safe it needs clarification. Which I have now done. I have spoken to Stirling and you cannot connect two separate supplies into the inverter. To use two separate supplies you must go through a changeover switch.

They have a new model comming out that will have two sets of connections, one for shoreline and one for genny supply, the inverter will then handle the changeover.

Edited by Big COL

There you go, straight from the horses mouth, Sterling not Big Col.

I had a query and also contacted Sterling, they were most helpful.

If I have a problem I do go to the manufacturer in the first place, then you get it in writing and if there is then a further problem you can go back to them, with 'You stated'.

Of course you must comply with their instructions.

There you go, straight from the horses mouth, Sterling not Big Col.

I had a query and also contacted Sterling, they were most helpful.

If I have a problem I do go to the manufacturer in the first place, then you get it in writing and if there is then a further problem you can go back to them, with 'You stated'.

Of course you must comply with their instructions.

29353[/snapback]

Yes, Sterling are very helpful if you contact them-shame about the instruction manuals that come with their products!

As somebody suggested it is important not to get back feeds down shorelines and suchlike. If that happened and somebody was working on the mains supply ashore (assuming your shoreline was connected) they could easily get a shock. Yuo could also be attempting to supply the entire marina with your inverter/generator etc.

Richard

Can you explain what you mean by sets of AC in. Do you mean shoreline, genny,

29391[/snapback]

Hi i'am reading this with interest so what would happen if you plucged a genny in to the landline socket would that work ok though an inverter?

I would have thought it would be the same as far as the inverter was concernedI may be very wrong

David

Hi i'am reading this with interest so what would happen if you plucged a genny in to the landline socket would that work ok though an inverter?

I would have thought it would be the same as far as the inverter was concernedI may be very wrong

David

29395[/snapback]

David and Heather

Thats exactly the way it used to be done, a lot of boaters still prefer to do it this way. There can be no accidents this way, you remove one incoming supply(shoreline) and replace it with another (genny). Using a changeover switch allows you to hard wire both supplies into the switch. as you select from one position to the other, it switches the supplies, it saves you having to pull plugs out and put plugs in, plus you can leave the shoreline connected to the boat while you need to use the genny. Its just a convenience.

David and Heather

Thats exactly the way it used to be done, a lot of boaters still prefer to do it this way. There can be no accidents this way, you remove one incoming supply(shoreline) and replace it with another (genny). Using a changeover switch allows you to hard wire both supplies into the switch. as you select from one position to the other, it switches the supplies, it saves you having to pull plugs out and put plugs in, plus you can leave the shoreline connected to the boat while you need to use the genny. Its just a convenience.

29398[/snapback]

Thanks for that big col thats just as i thought

Big COL wrote,

AC in from shoreline OR genny, OR being the operative word, I suspect the definition of this means one or the other only, and not both together. To be safe it needs clarification. Which I have now done. I have spoken to Stirling and you cannot connect two separate supplies into the inverter.

You are right Colin, I re-read it today and I had read it the wrong way. Sorry if I have confused anyone.

:lol:

Big COL wrote,

You are right Colin, I re-read it today and I had read it the wrong way. Sorry if I have confused anyone.

:lol:

29418[/snapback]

I have to say that the instructions are ambiguous.