Help required - Yamaha 5hp outboard

MikeFarmer

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've just bought a second hand outboard engine, but unfortunately no handbook.

It is a Yamaha 'Mercury' 5 hp engine, 2 stroke pull-start, with a dark blue engine cover. It has a rotary choke, which seems to be anti clockwise for off, and clockwise for on.

The problems....

I have had the engine running, but it is lumpy and won't tick over very well. Then every so often the engine just loses revs and eventually dies. Starting up again is then very difficult, and as yet I don't know whether its best to start with choke or without, primed or not primed, etc etc.

The way I found that does work when warm is to disconnect the fuel pipe, give it some throttle, then pull... the engine starts up, and then I put back the fuel line (hopefully before it stops again).

I haven't tried changing the mixture settings or idle speed from when I bought it, as the seller assured me it was running, and I don't know what I'm looking for anyway.

The other problem I have is that I can't find how to lock the engine in position. It has a sprung loaded hook arrangement, which is supposed to engage on the 'rod' that runs between the brackets, but in its way is a post that prevents it from going down far enough to engage. I can't see how to move the post, unless there is another lever I haven't found yet.

If anyone has any experience of this engine, all suggestions gratefully received :unsure: thanks in advance

Mike

The cutting out sounds like dirt in the float chamber strip it out and blow out all the jets also clean the fuel tank.

The bit that is in the way on the pivot sounds like it is the bracket that will hold down the engine , there will be a spring loaded clamp to engage with this that needs releasing.

Hope this helps....

Update...

The 'Mercury' name is a mistake, someone had stuck a Mercury badge on the engine for some reason, but it is just a Yamaha 5.

The post goes down when I engage reverse, so I'm guessing it locks in position on its own.

No progress on the throttle/fuel yet, but I will drain it all out and filter it. Without a manual I don't want to do too much to the mechanics at this stage, hopefully it will be something simple.

Thanks

Update...

The 'Mercury' name is a mistake, someone had stuck a Mercury badge on the engine for some reason, but it is just a Yamaha 5.

The post goes down when I engage reverse, so I'm guessing it locks in position on its own.

No progress on the throttle/fuel yet, but I will drain it all out and filter it. Without a manual I don't want to do too much to the mechanics at this stage, hopefully it will be something simple.

Thanks

29046[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

if you go here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/servi...spx?ls=outboard

you should be able to find a general hand book that may be of some help.

Good Luck

Len

Most of the outboards have been 'Badged' at some time.

And mariner is just a subset of yamaha.

- Quite a few of the tohatsus are also yamaha, as are the mercurys.

- Bombardier make Johnson, Evinrude and OMC badged engines.

- Mercruser are BMW, but most of the engines are made my VM motors

- The list goes on!! (like every thingelse)

But back to the engine, if it where mine, i would whip the cover off, and have a look at the carb, take it off and clean it out, or at least drain the float chamber and flush it though (pump the priming bulb)

- Otherwise, you can always take it to a outboard man, who will be able to sort it, for a cost.

Daniel