Swing bridges Leeds & Liverpool

Matthew Dowson

Featured Posts

I go up the L&L quite a bit, but have almost always had a crew, when single handed I've managed to follow other boats through, I did do one easy swing on my own coming out of Skipton (Leeds Direction) by the hotel which was pretty easy, as it has a long offside area to pull the boat along but had major problems just above Silsden as it was a bigger bridge, farm traffic etc, and pulling the boat with the bow rope from the open bridge kept pulling it into the bridge, kept getting stuck, so lots of fending off. It is also a sod to get shifted at the best of times, particularly with hot weather causing metal to expand and be stiffer than normal.

So any advice as to technique on this stretch with these particular bridges would be appreciated. I'm particularly interested to hear how people have managed the big bridges such as Bradley that tower over the boats. The issues seems to be that pulling on the bow rope when you're on the bridge pulls the boat ahead but also towards you and into the bridge structure.

I've read the posts about long poles and working from the towpath with ropes so you pull the bridge back after steering through, but thats not going to cut it on the heavy bridges, or the power operated ones where operation is on the offside.

I go up the L&L quite a bit, but have almost always had a crew, when single handed I've managed to follow other boats through, I did do one easy swing on my own coming out of Skipton (Leeds Direction) by the hotel which was pretty easy, as it has a long offside area to pull the boat along but had major problems just above Silsden as it was a bigger bridge, farm traffic etc, and pulling the boat with the bow rope from the open bridge kept pulling it into the bridge, kept getting stuck, so lots of fending off. It is also a sod to get shifted at the best of times, particularly with hot weather causing metal to expand and be stiffer than normal.

So any advice as to technique on this stretch with these particular bridges would be appreciated. I'm particularly interested to hear how people have managed the big bridges such as Bradley that tower over the boats. The issues seems to be that pulling on the bow rope when you're on the bridge pulls the boat ahead but also towards you and into the bridge structure.

I've read the posts about long poles and working from the towpath with ropes so you pull the bridge back after steering through, but thats not going to cut it on the heavy bridges, or the power operated ones where operation is on the offside.

Matthew

Firstly, have you checked your insurance policy to see that you are covered for single handed operations?

I am well familiar with the Leeds Liverpool Canal and must say that I would not attempt to operate the bridges singlehandedly because there are clear risks, not least to yourself, but also to others. If single handing I would,where possible wait for other boats, press gang walkers/locals into helping or just be prepared to wait around a while.

I have seen a swing bridge being unlocked, the boat used to push the bridge open and then a rope from the stern tethered to the bridge and used to close the gate on passing through. Not every bridge would lend itself to this as the bridge needs to be able to ground itself on opening otherwise it can swing back and smash into windows etc!

Take care but remeber dangerous practices can work for a while but is the risk worth taking?

I've just (several days age - now I'm lazing in the sun and eating scones) come along the same stretch single-handed.

Where I've not been able to pull into the offside to stop and open the bridge, Ive stopped close on the towpath side, taken the bow rope to the far rail on that side loosely, opened the bridge and then gently pulled the boat over to the opened bridge, boarded at the bow, gone past under power and either been able to stop on the offside at the other side to close the bridge or towed it shut on a stern rope (drifting, not under power) and then shut it. With the power bridges, I've so far managed to put the bows in on the offside and clamber up to operate the bridge from there and then reboard, motor through and remoor on the off-side to close.

Two bridges refused to open under muscle power - attached bow-rope and reversed them open; it worked without drama.

Micklethaite (199) confused me (someone's nicked the operating instruction panel), the road barriers are manually operated, but the actual swing is electric...

I've just (several days age - now I'm lazing in the sun and eating scones) come along the same stretch single-handed.

Where I've not been able to pull into the offside to stop and open the bridge, Ive stopped close on the towpath side, taken the bow rope to the far rail on that side loosely, opened the bridge and then gently pulled the boat over to the opened bridge, boarded at the bow, gone past under power and either been able to stop on the offside at the other side to close the bridge or towed it shut on a stern rope (drifting, not under power) and then shut it. With the power bridges, I've so far managed to put the bows in on the offside and clamber up to operate the bridge from there and then reboard, motor through and remoor on the off-side to close.

Two bridges refused to open under muscle power - attached bow-rope and reversed them open; it worked without drama.

Micklethaite (199) confused me (someone's nicked the operating instruction panel), the road barriers are manually operated, but the actual swing is electric...

Interesting, thanks for sharing that, yes 191 at silsden and 195 were v.stiff - as it was a hot day apparantly the steelwork expands and causes problems. 199 is a strange one, and although the barriers look open (locked in open position) they may require a push to make the required circuit complete. Were you on a particularly quiet day with no boat traffic around then?