Orchard Boats

Featured Posts

We've been aiming to buy a second hand boat, but following a visit to the Crick Show this weekend, we are now considering buying new. We were impressed by the boat from Orchard maina and builders, it looked like a good bet for the money, with good spec and joinery etc. We're aiming for a 57 - 60ft Trad, dont want to break the bank particularly, but we want something decent.

Does anyone have any experience of Orchard boats by any chance? Were they previously know as, or part of, something else? I don't know why I think this, maybe i've heard something in the distant past.

Any advice would be apperciated.

Goiridh

Basically Orchard Marine were part of Liverpool boats. I believe they are now tied up with Collingwood, which is the phoenix revival of LB.

By 'part of' I mean the companies had some owners and/or directors in common.

Thanks dor.

I've looked at the collingwood website and that makes sense. The spec and prices are pretty similar. I'm a little nervous about going for a company that has a difficult recent history . Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but it's a lot of money!

Thanks dor.

I've looked at the collingwood website and that makes sense. The spec and prices are pretty similar. I'm a little nervous about going for a company that has a difficult recent history . Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but it's a lot of money!

I can understand your concerns but lets be fair to LB,Collingwood and Orchard. Alan(one of the directors from LB?) did come on here recently and explain that they had closed LB for personal reasons - he didn't say they had financial problems and by all accounts when LB closed no customers or suppliers lost out financially and all orders were fulfilled.

There's been much talk on here about this, including some rather derogatory comments, but I've not seen anyone refute Alan's assertion that they never let any customers down.

I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Thanks dor.

It's all down to the contract you strike with them and who owns which bits when.

Get a watertight contract and you're covered. If THEY don't like strict terms (with penalty clauses on time of delivery) then walk away.

Chris

Thanks for that. It's certainly welcome news that LB didn't appear to go bust....just shows that you can't believe gossip.

The guys at Orchard seem like decent blokes and follow the usual 'pay as they build' formula, which is pretty safe I suppose. If anyone knows someone with experience of owning one of these boats, i'd love to hear from them!