Yanmar YSE12G

Featured Posts

They're quite popular also at sea on yachts. I don't know how many are used these days on canal boats but they're as good an engine as you'd require.

Anyone any experience of these engines ? Read a couple of sites with different opinions. Boat is 1975. :lol:

My last boat had/still has a YSE12. They are an old Coventry Climax design, but cut in half to make a one pot engine. A big heavy lump, they run for years, and my particular ex-lump just keeps going. Easy to maintain, but the governer was a bit strange to set up. Some appear to have oil pump problems, spares are getting thin on the ground but still available. It never ceased to amaze me just what a 550cc single cylinder diesel can push. The gear change did not lend itself to remote control, and I had a gear lever coming through the floor. They are a diesel that truly like to be working under load, and may not take kindly to battery charging use. My particular one was direct raw water cooled, and I believe they all are, so domestic water heating is not an easy option. Overall I thought it was a great little engine.

Supemalc, a one time member on here knew all about these engines in intimate detail. You may still be able to p.m.him?

My last boat had/still has a YSE12. They are an old Coventry Climax design, but cut in half to make a one pot engine. A big heavy lump, they run for years, and my particular ex-lump just keeps going. Easy to maintain, but the governer was a bit strange to set up. Some appear to have oil pump problems, spares are getting thin on the ground but still available. It never ceased to amaze me just what a 550cc single cylinder diesel can push. The gear change did not lend itself to remote control, and I had a gear lever coming through the floor. They are a diesel that truly like to be working under load, and may not take kindly to battery charging use. My particular one was direct raw water cooled, and I believe they all are, so domestic water heating is not an easy option. Overall I thought it was a great little engine.

Supemalc, a one time member on here knew all about these engines in intimate detail. You may still be able to p.m.him?

Thanks for info, excellent.