Erewas Canal

calamity507

Featured Posts

Hi we will be reaching the Erewash tomorrow, we have been getting mixed reports , but its one we want to cross off our list. Any advice where to moor or not etc please.

Hi.... We have done the Erewash a few times and never had any trouble. However we have heard of incidents involving bandits near the Gallows Inn at Ilkeston so maybe dont moor here. I think Sandiacre is OK. Through Ilkeston there are several nice spots out in the sticks where you will be fine. The basin at Langley Mill can be very full but the people there are very helpful and will find you somewhere. The Erewash deserves more traffic enjoy it and let us know how you get on.

Hi we will be reaching the Erewash tomorrow, we have been getting mixed reports , but its one we want to cross off our list. Any advice where to moor or not etc please.

Trent lock, Sandiacre and the top end near or at Langley Mill should be OK for mooring.

I've only done it once with the boat but run along the towpath regularly without any trouble at all.

, everyone today has been saying , dont do it lol

Ignore the naysayers, don't let them spoil your enjoyment of the cut. It's my belief they do more damage than the bandits themselves. :lol:

Sandiacre is good, have tied up above the lock near the Derby Canal junction and also in the town itself. Have also moored on the more rural sections further north near Stanton Ironworks. Agreed, the GN basin is also good place to be for a friendly welcome.

Try and go up with another boat as all the locks are anti vandal locked and take ages to unlock and then re lock

Ps sure i seen you today near lufboro?

Edited by denboy

used to go up regularly and never had any trouble usual tie ups were above trent lock, below the lock at sandiacre, above pasture and at langley mill.

handwritten note i have in my book says bridges belowlong eaton & hallam fields locks are very low

I did the Erewash single handed last year, it is very beautiful in parts and I had no problems except that the locks are the heaviest I have ever done! Having lived locally for a while, I agree that the Gallows is not the nicest bit of the Nottm / Derbyshire border but apartfrom that its lovely

Well we made it moored at Trent lock . going on to Sandiacre tomorrow . Apparently they have in the last few weeks , pulled a load of rubbish , trolleys , tvs and sofas etc out , so hopefully we will geta clear run.

I live in Ilkeston and walk the dogs along the tow path around The Bridge pub, Awsworth area. I have walked daytime and night time with no problems, most peeps say hello.

There's an M&S food and a Tesco just by the cut here too.

Need assistance at Barkers lock 70 (nr bridge 22) or Stensons 71 then PM me.

Kev

Edited by Dyad

At Sandiacre now , so far so good. We dont go anywhere in a hurry , just as well , you guys were so right , these locks are hard. Managing though , not had to call for male assistance yet. Tomorrow we head on for maybe Ilkeston , if we can moor. Thanks Dyad , shout if we need you , but I think we will be fine

Edited by calamity507