Cheshire Ring

ballooben

Featured Posts

I have a boat booked in October to "do" The Cheshire Ring. But I have heard some horror stories about the bit through Manchester. Does this sction of the trip still deserve its bad press? Or should I perhaps opt for The Four Counties Ring, which hopfully should not be too busy in October, or am I deluding myself. I gratefully await any advice. Thankyou.

Is it half term week in October?

It's the Ashton Canal that has the reputation. I've done it a couple of times with no trouble at all, but on both occaisions I've been through the locks before lunchtime after an early start, this seems to be the accepted way of minimising any potential problems.

It's also less of a problem when the kids are "supposed" to be in school.

Don't be put off. the Cheshire ring is a great trip, I've done it a couple of times, but always in the clockwise direction, mooring overnight at Castlefield and setting off early for the trip up the original Rochdale 9 and the subsequent Ashton 18, clearing the Ashton top lock before lunchtime.

Have a good trip.

Did the Cheshire Ring in July with friends. Met four young lads who had been swimming in the canal at Ashton. Our friend, who used to be a police lady in Ashton,started to talk to them. They were so inquizative about our boats, we ended up taking them up a couple of locks, letting them help and steer the boats. We gave them drinks and asked about why they were not at school. Exam time they said... yeah right... just the excuses I used many years ago for waggin school. We laughed!

They thanked us for being so kind. Enjoy the Cheshire ring, its reputation is undeserved

• 3 weeks later...

I did the cheshire ring over easter this year with a group of friends the only trouble we had was in marple when a small group of lads decided to throw a couple of stones.

All in all no problems at all we did the route and chester and back in a week from the Black prince base at Acton bridge.