Earith Bridge

crosser

Featured Posts

just wondered if anyone lives around Earith as my wife has found a cottage there shes pestering me about... weve just sold our house so was looking for a property near river or canal.... this looks lovely but found out there is a travellers site just up the road... just wondered if this was anything to be concerned about.... it looks like the old lock cottage but not entirely sure... any info would be great.... thanks

just wondered if anyone lives around Earith as my wife has found a cottage there shes pestering me about... weve just sold our house so was looking for a property near river or canal.... this looks lovely but found out there is a travellers site just up the road... just wondered if this was anything to be concerned about.... it looks like the old lock cottage but not entirely sure... any info would be great.... thanks

Hello crosser,

Yes, I'm in Earith, lived here three years now and it's a decent place. There is indeed a travellers site on the road to Sutton but it has never caused us any problems; there is usually some rubbish dumped outside there and the police helicopter passes overhead occasionally, I think the adjacent resident suffers but that's about it.

I don't know of a lock keeper's cottage but a railway used to cross what is now Hermitage Marina and where it crossed Shelford's Road (B1050) there was a level crossing keepers cottage, this may be what you have in mind. It's a busy road there, best to try before you buy. You ought to get a good view of the Old West River there (aka the River Great Ouse) with passing boat traffic, and bear in mind the Old and New Bedford Rivers are very close, there is plenty of water around Earith !

Steve King

Hi crossover,

I have my boat in Hermitage Marina and during the refit I stay in my caravan on the marinas caravan site. We were there before Easter until last Wednesday and yes the B1050 is a very busy road. I can confirm traffic starts well before six in the morning and at is peak between 6.30 and 9.30am. Conversely its very busy from 4.30 until 6.30 in the evening. There are heavy gravel lorries passing throughout the day possible something to do with the construction of the guided bus track they are building from St Ives to Cambridge. The construction site is about 5 miles along the B1050 towards Longstanton.

The travelers site is about 200 yards as the crow flies from Hermitage Marina, where my boat has been for 13 months, So far there have been no problems (fingers crossed) and yes I have seen the police helicopter hovering over the travelers site a couple of times. The few live aboards in the marina have a few stories to tell of police raids on the site but other than that no interference with any one else.

Yes Steve is correct there is plenty of water around Earith, especially up stream of the lock and the road into the village around the Old and New Bedford Rivers does sometime flood in the winter, hence the permanent road sign - Road Liable to Flooding!

Hope this helps. :lol:

Mac Man (Keith)

If your willing to move up north then there is a cottage on the bridge at Barbridge for sale, looks really really nice. not sure of the estate agents but will post it on here next time i visit the area.

Nik

Edited by kienik