Thinking of buying

canalgirl

Featured Posts

I don't understand why you are all so worried about my age ?? And however old I am why should it matter, thank you David for your comments of support. CG

I don't understand why you are all so worried about my age ?? And however old I am why should it matter, thank you David for your comments of support. CG

Hi Canal girl & welcome. What part of the country are you BTW different parts of the country are busier than others.

Could be a good project for you being an engineer, fitting out on dry land as you suggest is a lot easier especially if you have a 240 volt supply. We're currently on dry land in devises at a very reasonable rate.

Why not consider just a new shell and construct from scratch. Depending on any equity you have might determine how much loan you can obtain, a decent shell would be around 24k now possibly, not sure. But building from scratch you know everything about your boat, and being an engineer you'll probably strip a second hand one to the bare bones anyway LOL

My brother's an engineer also LOL

I live not too far from Lymm in Cheshire and there is a boat yard which would allow me to store my boat, but hey I am only at the thinking about point at the present, I have seen some of the sailaway shells and I don't like them, I much prefer an older boat which I can do my own thing with.

Hey, How old is old, I dunno.

Seems to me that the women I fancied used to say "Go away Little Boy" later they'd say "Go away dirty Old man" damned if I can remember a bit in the middle! :lol:

In my experience, old is old when you follow a pretty young lady to the door and she smiles and holds the door open for you

Hi Canalgirl

i have a plastic boat at the moment but i am aiming at getting a narrowboat as soon as i can afford one.The way that i see it,is that whilst i enjoy doing maintenance on my boat,id much rather be out motoring along the banks than trying to carry out a refit,i was at Blaunston today for a looksee at some boats,i was surprized at what you could get for your money and most of the boats looked like there was not a lot wrong with them.

Unfortunately i have one daughter at University and one going and untill i pay for that ill forget about the dream 70 footer, I have the skills to strip a boat down and refit it but its the time factor, How many boats do you see up for sale as "partially completed projects"?, i runmy own business too,so my spare time is premium time and id rather use it to enjoy the waterways and another thing is that i think that unless you have the time to go chasing bargains,you could end up spending more on a boat by going the DIY route.

I like to personalise my "toys" ive added a lot to my plastic boat and the custom paint job on my motorcycle turns heads,for me the best option is to buy something that does not need a huge amount of work done to it,you can take a sound boat and give it a paint job in your own colours and you have your boat no longer is ut the PO,s boat,it is yours.Taking a shell and starting from scratch is for a real enthusiast,maybee thats what you want but what yould you rather do? sail the boat or repair it?