Drilling Steel

Featured Posts

For my tuppence worth - I have just spent an hour drilling through a bulkhead and am only half way through. Might I suggest anything OTHER than a hand drill for such a job, or ensure you have lots of time... and light. After an hour my torch is going flat!

I had to drill several large holes in steel plates and angle for a tow bar once, had a hand drill

wedged into the seat of an upside down chair laden with a couple of concrete blocks that I knelt on to get stability and weight, and a lump of wood to hold the steel!

Finding time is tough when you do night shifts and then, of course, there's my sports sessions and the dog to walk. Still, I'm going to the boat tomorrow to measure up for my lorry sheet. Then I need to give the lorry curtain maker the dimensions. Once I have the sheet I can then decide where to drill the boat for the clamps. I'm hoping my canvas will do the job without a frame underneath as such but just a plank or two of wood jammed under for the time being. Where I id have major trouble was with the wind. I was tryingto sheet up with those normal all purpose sheets and the wind was just blowing the sheet back in my face. I'm hoping the lorry canvas will be more wind resistant and once the holes are drilled it will stretch tight over the stern.