Old Trafford Football Stadium

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

I wonder if anyone could help me.

In early April I will be cruising on the Bridgewater Canal with a school group of 7 boys aged 11 or so. I should like to take them on a Old Trafford stadium tour, but I have heard that mooring close by and access from the canal are both tricky. I would be most grateful if someone might advise me of the best place to moor near the stadium in order to have safe access from the canal? I have contacted Manchester United directly, but they were unable to help.

Many thanks for any advice.

Geoffrey Hammond

Hi Geoffrey,

A friend of ours from our moorings often goes on his boat with friends to football matches and MUFC.

As you head into Manchester from waters meeting, the ground is on your right, the towpath being on the left. When our friend from the mooring goes up there with friends he moors just passed the ground close to one of the bridges which access to/from the canal. It's a very over the bridge and into the ground so it shouldn't take you too long.

On the other hand, if you're worried about security and leaving your boat there then you can cruise on and moor in Castlefield and then use the trip boat, the L.S. Lowry to take you to and from the match. You do get a full meal (which obviously costs) so it may be a bit expensive.

On the other hand, if you're feeling energetic you could always walk from Castlefield itself, or use either the bus, or the tram from GMex station.

HTH.

Hi Geoff.

I would be inclined to contact the club again, there is an access specifically built from the canal towpath, I can't thank that anyone but MUFC would control it, as Liam says it is a walk of only 100yds or so to the stadium..

Perhaps if you explain that you are booking an organised tour you may get a more helpful response, the tours do seem very popular..

I doubt if there will be any security issues if it is not a match day.

Edited by John Orentas

Ah apologies, I read your post as though you were visting an actual match.

If it's just a normal day you will be fine, I wouldn't hesitate to moor then whilst visiting the stadium - you'll be fine.

There are even mooring rings there for your convenience.

to add my view, access is not tricky, the tow path has access to bridges that cross the canal in the shadow of the stadium, I don't think security of the boat is a problem. I pass that way regularly and although rarely see boats moored there are no housing areas nearby nor shops so you don't get many passers by. There are mooring rings and bollards left from the industrial era for you to use

Charles

I think the gate is padlocked though, so some prior arrangement will be neccessary.

The gate you're referring to is by the bridge on Sir Matt Busby Way, which is the closest access point to the stadium, but it's always locked except for an hour or two around matches when the LS Lowry uses it to drop off / pick up their customers. If you go up another 100-200 yards from there towards Castlefield you can get access from the towpath to the road at all times.

I wonder if anyone could help me.

In early April I will be cruising on the Bridgewater Canal with a school group of 7 boys aged 11 or so. I should like to take them on a Old Trafford stadium tour, but I have heard that mooring close by and access from the canal are both tricky. I would be most grateful if someone might advise me of the best place to moor near the stadium in order to have safe access from the canal? I have contacted Manchester United directly, but they were unable to help.

Many thanks for any advice.

Geoffrey Hammond

Hi Geoff,

I take it that the visit to the stadium of screams is because these children have committed some heinous crime and you are punishing them. :lol: