Homefire Ecoal

Chris J W

Featured Posts

While you are all debating your coal prices, you really ought to be thinking about your next winter strategy. Get a group together in each area and buy bulk from the wholesaler at Summer prices. I know I've mentioned it all before, but it is so easy to do. Find a cheap storage if neccessary. We ordered our Taybrite from the manufacturer, CPL fuels, last Summer. We got the local pub involved as they have open fires and they agreed to store some for the group in return for the wholesale price. We ordered a thousand bags in the Summer, with the delivery split into two halves. First delivery in October with full payment up front, second delivery end of first week in January. CPL were quite happy to store the second half for us until Jan, as they had already been paid, plus they only had to deliver to one point, so easier for them. The pub stored half of each delivery so nobody had to put too much on their boats and could collect at a pre arranged time. Taybrite cost us £5.90 per 25 kg and stove heat (slightly smaller nuts) £5.20 per 25 kg. We also ordered an extra 80 bags in December and they also gave us winter wholesale of ££7.40 and £6.70.

As I ordered 60 bags for my own use for the whole winter, that has saved me £300 on the price that other boaters on the forum seem to be paying. The only down side has been fending off every other boater in the area that wants to get in on the cheap coal! We could quite easily have put together a group of 100 or so buyers and it is a win/win situation for producer and user.

Roger

Even if you cant get enough people together to go with the large quantities Roger mentions its well worth ordering early from your local coal boat. I got 20 bags of Taybright for £7.25 each (25Kg) in Sept this year so saving £3 a bag on current prices.

• 9 months later...