Grand Thames Circuit

sbillis

Featured Posts

At about this time next week we shall be setting off on our big trip and this year it is Blisworth, Little Venice, Limehouse Dock, Tidal Thames, Oxford, Braunston and Blisworth. I was wondering if anyone else had done it and if so can they offer and tips and advice.

Thanks

Simon

nb Bulrush

Hi Simon,

We did the Grand Circle last year taking 5 weeks but that included going from near Penkridge on the Staffs & Worcs.

We went round ACW i.e. down the Thames from Oxford then did the London Ring CW to Limehouse, up the tideway to Brentford then up the G.U. and Coventry etc back to Penkridge.

We chose that way to make use of the current in the Thames but that was not great.

Free moorings on the Thames are available but expect to pay in the likes of Windsor (£6) and Henley...expensive.

The best prices for diesel I found were at 4All Seasons near Penton Hook and Sovereign at Banbury. You may well have to pay for water as well.

When you get to Limehouse, find the lockie and let him know what you intend to do. He will give you a bridge guide for the tideway and let you know when you will leave Limehouse (We left 3 hours after low water). There are good facilities at Limehouse...water, self pump out etc.

Fit the cratch cover if you have one and keep the front doors shut till after Westminster. Lifejackets are best used. You should keep a mobile phone on all the time and let Woolwich Radio know your intentions.

Once you are on the tideway, keep a good look-out for the wash from the bigger trip boats and rubbish barges. I found it best to cross the wakes at right angles to them to minimise rolling but you get a LOT of cavitation noise from the prop as you cross the wake.

After Westminster or thereabouts, it is a dawdle and a good chance to let rip and give the engine a good run.

We had a great time and hope you do too.

Happy boating,

Colin

p.s.

Remember and have your anchor in the fore deck well handy for use just in case but do not put it on the fore deck itself in case it goes walkabout.

Feel free to pm or email me if you need any more info.

Colin

Look out for us at Little Venice when you are passing. You might see us in the Paddington basin or between Little Venice and Globetown if you are heading east for Limehouse.

Give us a wave and a toot if you see us.

Good trip.

Look out for us at Little Venice when you are passing. You might see us in the Paddington basin or between Little Venice and Globetown if you are heading east for Limehouse.

Give us a wave and a toot if you see us.

Good trip.

24172[/snapback]

I shall certianly keep a lookout for you. Are overnight moorings OK there ?

Simon

nb Bulrush

Hello!

Thanks for the response on the other thread - I'll start badgering you all for some feedback, if I may!

A few questions about the Grand Thames Circuit, and the London Ring - glad for any feedback!

We're an experienced crew - sadly financial and practical restraints prevent us from owning our own boat (yet!) so we're hiring, and looking forward to finally managing to do this route this summer!

We've been advised to go ACW starting near Gayton, and we have 2 weeks.

Can anyone suggest a realistic timescale for navigating the Thames (non-tidal and then tidal) sections of this route? I know that some locks on the Thames are restricted to a few hours of operation per day, but we'd ideally love to travel beyond Brent on the Thames past Westminster etc., and then turn into Limehouse Basin and up the Regents Canal to re-join the GU. It just looks awesome!

Anyone any idea how long this part would take (my real concern is moorings/overnight and the tide on the Thames), and whether this would require an overnight in London, and/or the suberbs.

We like long days, and completed both the Avon and Warwick rings in well under 2 weeks last summer, so are prepared for a hard fortnight!

Thanks in advance!

We did the Thames/London ring the year before last starting and finishing at Lechlade. We were out for a total of 2½ weeks and were in no hurry at all.

From our experience of the tidal and canal section I would say to allow 1 day to get from Hampton Court area through Teddington and onto the GU at Brentford.

Another day to travel to Little Venice where the moorings looked friendly and safe.

One more day will take you onto Limehouse basin where there is a very good secure marina. (booking in advance is recommended.)

Take advise from the Limehouse lock staff as to the best time to leave Limehouse, but the trip from the lock back up to Teddington is done on one flood tide, arriving at Teddington at high water.

I would advise taking the clockwise route around this ring. To go the other way would mean arriving at Limehouse lock gates with the tide still ebbing strongly and should you overshoot the lock entrance the travel back against the tide would be a struggle. Have a look at Mike Stevens web site http://www.mike-stevens.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Overnight moorings are good in both Little Venice and the Paddington Basin around the corner, but I wouldn't call them plentiful, especially at the weekend.

I suggest you have a B-plan up your sleeve in case you get there and there is nowhere to moor.

Skipper

Golden Duck

I shall certianly keep a lookout for you. Are overnight moorings OK there ?

Simon

nb Bulrush

24179[/snapback]

Overnight moorings are good in both Little Venice and the Paddington Basin around the corner, but I wouldn't call them plentiful, especially at the weekend.

I suggest you have a B-plan up your sleeve in case you get there and there is nowhere to moor.

Skipper

Golden Duck

24570[/snapback]

Looks like plan B is to moor alongside you. Seriously I dont have a plan B. My wife quite likes the idea of mooring up outside Marks and Sparks though. If its dark and we cant find anywhere to moor I will just have to tie agaist whatever does not move and be prepared for an early start the next day.

Simon

nb Bulrush

We did the Thames/London ring the year before last starting and finishing at Lechlade. We were out for a total of 2½ weeks and were in no hurry at all.

From our experience of the tidal and canal  section I would say to allow 1 day to get from Hampton Court area through Teddington and onto the GU at Brentford.

Another day to travel to Little Venice where the moorings looked friendly and safe.

One more day will take you onto Limehouse basin where there is a very good secure marina. (booking in advance is recommended.)

Take advise from the Limehouse lock staff as to the best time to leave Limehouse, but the trip from the lock back up to Teddington is done on one flood tide, arriving at Teddington at high water.

I would advise taking the clockwise route around this ring. To go the other way would mean arriving at Limehouse lock gates with the tide still ebbing strongly and should you overshoot the lock entrance the travel back against the tide would be a struggle. Have a look at Mike Stevens web site http://www.mike-stevens.co.uk

Hope this helps.

24567[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice. We are already booked in at Limehouse, and we propose to go clockwise. I've checked out the tide tables and we should leave limehouse at around 10.30am just in time to catch all the pleasure boats. We have life jackets and an anchor. I changed the engine hoses at the weekend and this week I am having a pre-filter added to prevent and contaminated fuel getting into the engine. My boat has a Perkins M30 engine and last year it was a dleight to open it up on the River Severn. I was almost tempeted to water ski

Simon

nb Bulrush

The boat's a hive of activity today. We've taken on fuel and water and the waste tanks been pumped out in preparation. The crew are joining this evening and our 4 passengers are joining in the morning ready for an 0800 sailing.

The cook's down at Tesco's getting the provisions, with the menu's in hand so she can remember what she supposed to be cooking.

I'm fed up with people keep wanting to borrow my Nicholsons to "see where we are" and then giving it back to me with tomato sauce stains all over it (only I'm allowed to do that), so I've colour photocopied the relevant pages and have stuck them all together in order, so that I've formed a 4' x 3' route map, which I have blue-tacked on the sliding door of the bathroom.

The crew and passenger list has been e-mailed over to the office and we're ready to go.

I've been told that they have decided not to use any form of bottle or alcohol for the launch ceremony at Little Venice and will use a Union flag to unveil the name.

Well I suppose it is a charity for young people and that limits the options I guess.

Once the outdoor centre quietens down this evening and all the day children go home, we'll slip the lay-by mooring, go astern back to the cut where we can wind her to face downstream and then motor astern back on to the wharf where the access is easier for the passengers and we can berth for the night.

Hopefully, we will see you in London, Simon.

If you have radio's, we'll be tuned into the PMR Calling Ch 8(8) at Little Venice.

Safe trip.

Best Regards

Barry

Skipper

Golden Duck

Looks like plan B is to moor alongside you. Seriously I dont have a plan B. My wife quite likes the idea of mooring up outside Marks and Sparks though. If its dark and we cant find anywhere to moor I will just have to tie agaist whatever does not move and be prepared for an early start the next day.

Simon

nb Bulrush

24600[/snapback]

Edited by Golden Duck