Invisible Canada Geese

MartinClark

Featured Posts

This will have landed in the inbox of editors around the country who will report on it in their organs as if it is a serious and scientifically-conducted survey.

This editor begs to differ. The headline is "BUGS AND BEASTIES ON BRITAIN’S WATERWAYS" and the text includes "more than 3,000 sightings of wildlife were recorded by visitors" (my emphasis). Neither of those look like serious peer-reviewed science to me.

Seriously, I think you overestimate either the plausibility of BW or the gullibility of editors. We get PR stunts like this all the time and we're fairly well accustomed to seeing through them. Most journalists, apart from the most junior of local newspaper hacks, will file this one under "space-filler". Even if I didn't know the background to it, WW would hardly be running this one as page one lead (we'll save that for your next set of Liverpool photos :lol: ).

It was sent from a britishwaterways.co.uk address rather than a waterscape.com one. Should all press releases sent out by BW be regarded as "fun"?

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

]

I'd go for the public health clause, personally...

Geese poo is slippery, geese wings are at least as sturdy as those of swans (and everyone knows that swans' wings can break your arm you know...), they scare my labrador when she gets close to them and their feathers make me sneeze....

You missed Air Raid.

Have you never seen a squadron of 300 come over a gravel pit to roost on the water for the night. Cover is definately required as you see them carpet bombing the lake surface heading towards you and then the pitter patter all around you.

I think this is a cleverly disguised snitch site, set up purely to satisfy the curtain-twitchers, who wish to report wildlife, innocently going about their business.

In an attempt to sabotage this gross invasion of privacy I am reporting sightings of long extinct species.

Edited by carlt

You missed Air Raid.

Have you never seen a squadron of 300 come over a gravel pit to roost on the water for the night. Cover is definately required as you see them carpet bombing the lake surface heading towards you and then the pitter patter all around you.

Ah? I think I see why BW are not acknowledging the presence of Canada Geese. As they are clearly so dangerous to be around, if BW admit to them being on the waterways they will have to conduct a Health and Safety audit on Canada Geese and then fit warning signs to them all.

Natalie.

The wildlife survey was dreamed up in 200something as a fun press release to promote Waterscape (cost: about £20 to send the press release out, as opposed to £lots to advertise). People liked it and so it returned the next year.

Anyone who takes it even slightly seriously as a scientific source (whether outside or within BW) needs their head examining for the presence of Canada goose guano where the brain is meant to be.

:lol: whats the difference between this survey/fun press release and all their other 'surveys' :lol::lol: