I need another boat! Advice needed.

GSer

Featured Posts

I already have a nice boat but what I am looking for is a 65' Tug style second boat I can use as hobby workshop, granny annex for visitors and for some much needed storage space.

Ideally the tug will have a 14'-16' for deck (for storage either my bike or boat above and a double bed and garden shed type storage below (accessed via a deck hatch), engine room and boatmans(ish) cabin, a decent enough engine to cope with the two boats on the river.

Ideally i'd like a sailaway and i'll finish the rest off myself, however money is tight and the idea of a watertight shell, doors and windows fitted, with engine and drive train fitted is looking attractive.

With all these new rules and legislations coming in regarding build quality, what would be the ideal way for me to get the craft and still be able to sell it on with the relevant paperwork if needed.

I've got a few months before i'll be ready to proceed, i'm reasonable mechanic, suck it and see type electrician, keen, but basic woodworker. I intend if I bought at the most basic level to involve a decent surveyor to oversee the fitout and i'll try and afford pro help for the electrics and gas. Will this help with any relevant paperwork needed to get the certificates needed to sell the tug if the time comes?

Many apologies if this is a daft question, but i see many self fitouts that seem virtually unsaleable.

It's a challenge i'd like to do but the paperwork seems a little daunting is it?

Paul

Edited by GSer

Do bear in mind that BW and most private mooring operators will require two full mooring fees from you, even if you breast up. :lol:

Trade in your current boat for a wide beam, however, and you might only pay once.

(makes no sense to me either)

Do bear in mind that BW and most private mooring operators will require two full mooring fees from you, even if you breast up. :lol:

Trade in your current boat for a wide beam, however, and you might only pay once.

(makes no sense to me either)

Yes, that is a downside, but we have made allowances for that and hope we can cope. The reason for making sure all the paperwork is 100% is so we can sell it easily if needs be.

Paul

You didn't say if you're living on the boat you already have. If so, you can afford two boats, I think.

I saw a seventies boat the other week the boatyard had done up and gutted, all ready to be fitted out from scratch. I actually thought of it myself as it was just 12,500 but realistically I don't have time to even attempt a fit out. Plus, I'm not really an engineer and so far my only practical knowledge is a bit of basic electrics and painting.

I suppose one idea for you is to go to a boatyard or boatbuilders and see if you can get your hands on a project boat that will remain there on dry dock, while you work on it and store some of your bikes and stuff. One place offered me about 3 pound a week for dry dock so no license, BSS or standard mooring to pay. Later you could get it licensed and put it in the water.

I already have a nice boat but what I am looking for is a 65' Tug style second boat I can use as hobby workshop, granny annex for visitors and for some much needed storage space.

Ideally the tug will have a 14'-16' for deck (for storage either my bike or boat above and a double bed and garden shed type storage below (accessed via a deck hatch), engine room and boatmans(ish) cabin, a decent enough engine to cope with the two boats on the river.

Ideally i'd like a sailaway and i'll finish the rest off myself, however money is tight and the idea of a watertight shell, doors and windows fitted, with engine and drive train fitted is looking attractive.

With all these new rules and legislations coming in regarding build quality, what would be the ideal way for me to get the craft and still be able to sell it on with the relevant paperwork if needed.

I've got a few months before i'll be ready to proceed, i'm reasonable mechanic, suck it and see type electrician, keen, but basic woodworker. I intend if I bought at the most basic level to involve a decent surveyor to oversee the fitout and i'll try and afford pro help for the electrics and gas. Will this help with any relevant paperwork needed to get the certificates needed to sell the tug if the time comes?

Many apologies if this is a daft question, but i see many self fitouts that seem virtually unsaleable.

It's a challenge i'd like to do but the paperwork seems a little daunting is it?

Paul

You didn't say if you're living on the boat you already have. If so, you can afford two boats, I think.

I saw a seventies boat the other week the boatyard had done up and gutted, all ready to be fitted out from scratch. I actually thought of it myself as it was just 12,500 but realistically I don't have time to even attempt a fit out. Plus, I'm not really an engineer and so far my only practical knowledge is a bit of basic electrics and painting.

I suppose one idea for you is to go to a boatyard or boatbuilders and see if you can get your hands on a project boat that will remain there on dry dock, while you work on it and store some of your bikes and stuff. One place offered me about 3 pound a week for dry dock so no license, BSS or standard mooring to pay. Later you could get it licensed and put it in the water.

Sorry, yes, I'm a livaboard, the increase in fees are a bit scarey, but then again if I had to get a storage facility on dry land that wouldn't be cheap either.

Paul

theres one for sale from the warwickshire fly boat co

"Ariel"

50'working boat/tug with rivetted engine room housing newly rebuilt Lister HA2,back cabin fully fitted(Rex Wain)range etc.,ready to work or convert.(30' open hold) £35000.00

dont take the price to seriously though, they can usually be brought down by a fair bit. but you'd have to get her surveyed first, cos they have been caught out trying to pass off boats for far to much. take poor old "ian" for example.