Route from Sandbach to Surrey

indigo

Featured Posts

Hi there,

We are new to boating and will be taking delivery of a 57' elton moss narrow boat end of September. Has anyone made the journey down south and can suggest the best route and any advice for us. We are expecting the journey to take nearly 3 weeks so any advice on equipment would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help :lol:

I suggest you use the excellent CanalPlanAC

http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi

to plan your journey.

Depending on your experience level, and confidence with your new boat, you might chose to go into the options screens, and set some of your options more "pessimistically", (i.e. slower assumed speed, longer to do leach ock, less hours per day to travel).

With my defaults it suggests the journey is possible in two weeks, but that would be cruising more intensively than you probably want to go, particularly as it's getting darker, sooner, all the time. Three weeks sounds much more relaxed, and is probably sensible with a new boat.

In view of the riverss involved, you need to check whether they are covered by your normal licence (e.g "gold" licence), or whether you need extra ones.

Enjoy it!

Hi there,

We are new to boating and will be taking delivery of a 57' elton moss narrow boat end of September. Has anyone made the journey down south and can suggest the best route and any advice for us. We are expecting the journey to take nearly 3 weeks so any advice on equipment would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help :lol:

Hi

How much experience have you got? If you have a mooring in Pyrford then you could have some experience so apologies if the following comments are not appropriate:

* Have a surveyor check your boat out a week or so before taking it over. I have not heard anything bad about Elton Moss but it is prudent. Book early as they get busy

* Go on a helmsman's course if you find a free slot before you set out. Malcolm at top lock is superb: http://www.toplocktraining.co.uk/

* You have an awful lot of locks to do so get some 2 way radios. We have had both cheapies and expensive ones. I am not convinced there is that much difference as the Motorola cheapies were clearer, the more expensive have far better range.

* Have a look at the stoppages page on waterscape. Loads of closures in November so you could be a bit tight

* Going round Birmingham is quicker but I think that Birmingham is fascinating - see http://indigodream.wordpress.com/page/2/

* We are stranded in Sharpness at the moment due to flooding so have a back up plan of going down the Grand Union rather than via Oxford and the Thames. I think I would opt for the Thames if at all possible as it is fantastic at this time of year.

Most importantly: Enjoy!

Richard

Hello and welcome.

One thing to keep in mind is timing.

We bought our boat in October 2005 and thought we could take our time to cruise leisurely south from Braunston. Not the case! There are stoppages to think about, especially on the Thames, which come into play before Christmas. So do not leave it too late to start your journey, whichever way you go!

Hope you like Pyrford Marina (if that is where you are headed). The River Wey is great. We are still waiting for a mooring down there. Do you live nearby? We are in Godalming.

Jo.

I did almost the same journey when I bought my boat. (Anderton to Brentford). I went Trent & Mersey, Coventry, North Oxford and Grand Union because it was the quickest route. With hindsight, I regret not going through Brum and the Black Country.

You are starting to get close to the stoppages season so keep an eye out for closure that will block your route.