One week starting from Tamworth

chelsear1

Featured Posts

I would like advice on the best route to do starting at Tamworth on the Coventry Canal.

I have looked into either going south on the Oxford or through Braunston to the Grand Union or maybe onto the Ashby.

However if there is any one who can suggest any alternatives I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Mark.

How long do you have for the trip.  one week, two, three etc?

What day do you start/finish?

21273[/snapback]

Kawaton

Have you been in the pub already, look at the headingWave.gif

Kawaton

Have you been in the pub already, look at the headingWave.gif

21277[/snapback]

DOH!!!!

No, not been to pub. Just have lots of senior managers around today and wary of getting caught skiving, so not concentrating properly.

second question applies though. I wouldnt recommend being anyway near Fradley on a friday afternoon!!!

a brief answer then-------------

Possible rings are Warwickshire and Black country. Up and down the Ashby is certainly achievable, or maybe the Caldon.

All depends on what you want. If you want the least locks go to the Ashby, If you like 8 hours cruising a day attempt a ring.

i live in Tamworth, so know a far bit about the routes around there

The Warwickshire ring is great, you get the best of all worlds, rural, big lock flights, industrial heritage, great pubs (The Blue Lias springs to mind).

See this link http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=189 for a students diary of the route (I took 19 6th formers last year), we're doing the Stourport this year.

Hope you have a great trip whatever the route - though Farmers Bridge Locks are an awesome way to enter Birmingham, good safe mooring in Cambrian Basin too.

Enjoy

:blush:

Ditto on Webchems post.

If you want variety, Warwickshire ring is your best bet.

depending on what time you start (mid-afternoon?) I'd tend to head anti clockwise. stopping near bodymoor heath the first night, and Gas st. on the second. Just past Kingswood jct. is a gorgeous night for the third....................etc etc. I'd be planning the whole route given half the chance i think. LOL.

We did the Warwickshire ring back in April, and was not problem at about 6-7 hours cruising a day.

I would suggest going down through Bournville and Lapworth rather than through solihull and Knowle. More scenery that way, lift bridges, tunnels etc.

Plus i work in Bournville and could give you a wave as you pass!!!