where to stop

OGGDOG

Featured Posts

Hi we are only 11 days away from blast off

we have a viking craft dept sat 30 august from rugby

wondering if anyone knows of some quiet places to stop for the night

we are heading towards the ashby canal

If by quiet you mean in open country, i.e. not by a pub, then the embankment just before Ansty golf course, about half a mile past the M6 would be my favourite. The towpath is quite wide at this point and you can get right into the side. Only drawback is that the West Coast Main Line is directly opposite but it's never bothered me. In any case, I'm pretty sure it's closed for reconstruction works over the next few weekends so ll be it'll be even less of a problem. After that, there's really nowhere until about a mile past Hawksbury and even then it's not the safest of areas in the school holidays.

There are good 14 day moorings by the Rose and Castle at Ansty, we have left a boat for a week there recently with no problems. They do fill up though because the pub is very popular.

You should be able to do Rugby to the Ashby canal in a day. We did Ansty to Hillmorton in about 4 hours. We have moored up not far from the first railway bridge on the Ashby, again with no problems.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Stretton Stop.

The Railway Inn is long closed down but it's only a short walk up into Brinklow for several decent pubs if that takes your fancy. As you walk up the road you can see the remains of the old Brindley contour canal route that once got much closer to the village, so blame Telford for that.

If railway noise is a problem, moor in the cutting before the stop and most of the row will go over your head.