1901 Census Boat Dwellers in Yorkshire.

Henhouse

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
Found this, which gives details of persons residing on boats on the night of the 1901 Census. Interesting with regard to places on the Rochdale, and L&L.

http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/wtw/results/r...0582&page=1

Excellent - very interesting. Susie and I are reseachers and geographers - do you know how many such links to similar info might exist for other areas?

Rob Stephenson

NB Cuttlefish

Excellent - very interesting. Susie and I are reseachers and geographers - do you know how many such links to similar info might exist for other areas?

Rob Stephenson

NB Cuttlefish

All UK Census information for the years 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 is available online for more or less the entire country, and fully search-able. (There is a 100 year closure, so next, 1911, is not generally available yet).

Unfortunately for most of those years it can only be accessed either through subscription sites, or on a pay per view basis.

The biggest providers are people like Ancestry.Com or FindMyPast.Com. Not particularly cheap, unless you get keen.

Some information is available free, the most notable being the 1881 UK census put on line by the Church of the Latter Day Saints, (i.e. the Mormons).

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/fra...arch_census.asp

There is full transcript information there, but, unlike the pay sites, not the originals images from which it was extracted.

Here's one of my boatman relatives, (possibly!)

Richard FINCHER Household

Birth Year <1849>

Birthplace Tring, Hertford, England

Age 32

Occupation Boatman Captain

Marital Status M <Married>

Head of Household Richard FINCHER

Relation Head

Dwelling 75 Walton St

Census Place Aylesbury, Buckingham, England

Many libraries and record offices have online subscriptions to sites like Ancestry.Com, so you can often try it out there, before committing to a subscription.

Alan