Drive couplings

Yamanx

Featured Posts

Where and what type?

I have seen the one I'm looking for on this site recently, cant find it now though. It said it was an Aquadrive. But I dont think it is. A sort of cone shape ali with rubber inside. Can anyone help?

There is no provision for bolting the coupling to the hull.

I think the one you are describing is a Centreflex. Their basic coupling is a flexible rubber coupling wihch allows a little angular deflection, but doesn't take any thrust.

I have a Python Drive, similar to an aquadrive, and it made a huge difference as it takes all the thrust from the prop. This allows the engine mounts to be softer, and the whole thing is a lot quieter.

Can anyone tell me which, if any, flexible coupling can be retro-fitted without too much disturbance?

I suppose I mean with the least displacement of the prop shaft. I have about an inch to play with before I have to either modify the stern gear or move the engine forwards.

I have already looked through some back copies of the comics, there used to be a regular full page add. but seems to have disappeared.

One of the bigger chandlers will know, Midland, Calcutt or TW Marine.

See also; "For sale and wanted".

Edited by John Orentas

Hi

Chris Polly

sounds like the only type you might be able to fir is the R&D follow this link

http://www.randdmarine.com/flexiblesc.asp

Used to be sold by Midland/Aquafax and several others, not as good as an Aquadrive type or a Centraflex type.

Yamanx

The Centraflex is sold by many chandlers, Aquafax for one and I am sure Midland. You can also deal direct with the manufacture but I have forgotten address Preston way I think.

david

Hi

Chris Polley

sounds like the only type you might be able to fir is the R&D follow this link

http://www.randdmarine.com/flexiblesc.asp

Used to be sold by Midland/Aquafax and several others, not as good as an Aquadrive type or a Centraflex type.

Yamanx

The Centraflex is sold by many chandlers, Aquafax for one and I am sure Midland. You can also deal direct with the manufacture but I have forgotten address Preston way I think.

david

20487[/snapback]

thanks for that. Yes, Aquafax list them. I think I'll buy one and see how it would it. They're not expensive, and it fitting one doesn't seem to be too 'invasive'.

Chris.

Which ever way you go you will find it a struggle, I think you must be resigned to the need to move the engine forwards by a few inches. As has been said the best option is the Aquadrive but they are horrendously expensive and not easy to fit, the most awkward part being to arrange for the mounting of the thrust bearing.

On my boat I have fitted what I believe to be an equally good alternative, an industrial "rubber tyre" coupling. I won't go into detail now but if you want to know more I will let you know.

Chris.

Which ever way you go you will find it a struggle, I think you must be resigned to the need to move the engine forwards by a few inches.  As has been said the best option is the Aquadrive but they are horrendously expensive and not easy to fit, the most awkward part  being to arrange for the mounting of the thrust bearing.

On my boat I have fitted what I believe to be an equally good alternative, an industrial "rubber tyre" coupling.  I won't go into detail now but if you want to know more I will let you know.

20498[/snapback]

like a Hillman Imp drive shaft joint ?

............... those were the days .... :D

No Chris, more like a small tyre, one 'bead' is clamped to the gearbox output, the other to the prop-shaft. They are excellent at taking up linear and angular misalignment but you do need an additional trust bearing.

Used a lot in industry for example connecting an electric motor/gearbox unit to the drive drum of a conveyor belt.

Chris I think John is talking about a Fennerflex coupling, they are used a lot for industrial flexi drive but are not used were a thrust or pull (in reverse) is needed, definatley would need some form of thrust bearings and if I remember them rightly would fit the space you have, however

I too would advise if you can make room for a Centraflex, or an Aquadrive about twice the room rather than any other. I had a A/drive which is still going 15 years ago £450.00 plus my time welding the brace. My latest boat has a C/flex plus a lorry shaft with univerals which also works fine. The c/flex easiest to fit, the a/drive needs a solid brace welded across between the swims to carry it's flanges and take all the thrust

david

Can anyone tell me which, if any, flexible coupling can be retro-fitted without too much disturbance?

I suppose I mean with the least displacement of the prop shaft.  I have about an inch to play with before I have to either modify the stern gear or move the engine forwards.

20477[/snapback]

Hi Chris

Python have just introduced a short flexible drive 246mm overall.

web Address - www.albatross-marine.com

Edited by Big COL