Is it a Rare Engine ???

Featured Posts

Hope you can help me out here,

broke down with fuel problems, ( no pressure from pump ) now fixed had it overhauled good as new. Thats not the problem, in trying to find spares for said fuel pump, came to a total brick wall, it`s built into the block so very specific to the engine. Beta Marine don`t have it on there computer, even phoned Izuzi ( it`s an Izuzi engine licenced for Beta ) and all they could inform me is that it original came from a industrial engine. Now I`m a bit concerned that if any major parts are needed in the future ( it is 19 years old ) that it would be impossible or highly expensive or both.

I have the spec sheet for it so if I`ve left anything out........ ask away.

I thought maybe the model number has changed or it`s called something else, in this wonderful age of info, if it ain`t got the right number/letter then it don`t exsist !!!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Garry

NB Teila

I think I'd be minded to mount a different pump. Is it 'lectric or cam driven?

The pump has been fixed now ( with a years warranty ) it`s more of `if` something as big as a waterpump, camshaft, etc was needed, where would I get them from?

There have been a couple of questions raised about this engine on this forum

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...98&hl=b3kr1

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...82&hl=b3kr1

Not terribly helpful, other than one post mentions a helpful contact, that you may, or may not, have already discovered.

Obviously you have an Isuzu base engine, marketed in it's marine form by Beta.

It seems to be rare on narrowboats, although one brokerage is currently advertising a boat with one.

As far as I know current Beta engines are Kubota rather than Isuzu based. If you can find out what the base Isuzu engine was you may fare better talking to HMI Isuzu than Beta. I've not dealt with either, but get the impression that HMI may offer better service than Beta ?

Alan

There have been a couple of questions raised about this engine on this forum

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...98&hl=b3kr1

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...82&hl=b3kr1

Not terribly helpful, other than one post mentions a helpful contact, that you may, or may not, have already discovered.

Obviously you have an Isuzu base engine, marketed in it's marine form by Beta.

It seems to be rare on narrowboats, although one brokerage is currently advertising a boat with one.

As far as I know current Beta engines are Kubota rather than Isuzu based. If you can find out what the base Isuzu engine was you may fare better talking to HMI Isuzu than Beta. I've not dealt with either, but get the impression that HMI may offer better service than Beta ?

Alan

Thank you Allan,

It was HMI who told me it was originally a industrial engine, but thats about all, could`nt help with the sourcing of parts for it.

Will try the contact tomorrow.

Have a DVD ( from film to DVD ) of the building of Teila 1989, made by Conmac Boats, with the engine in the workshop before fitting. They built her as their show boat, after which was sold in 1991. Why this engine , heaven knows, I have to say it`s a real good work horse and the first major breakdown in 19 years, but again a bit worried about further mishaps.

The trick here is to try to find out what the core engine is. Someone at Beta will know which Isuzu unit it's based on and then it's much easier to go searching for parts. Chances are the engine was used in excavators or generators or whatever and most of the core parts will match yours.

Some while ago I was helping a business with fork lift truck spares. A customer had a 'grey' Nissan forklift fitted with a very sweet little 3 cylinder engine, the like of which hadn't been seen in the UK market and the forklift division knew nothing of it. Transpired it was the same engine as fitted in an excavator and all the parts were readily available from Nissan's industrial division.

Often in such cases, once you know the core unit designation, Google is your best friend.