Alternator Belt Tensioner

MedMan

Featured Posts

My Clipper 50 has a BMC 1.8 fitted with two alternators - the original plus an additional 70 amp one. To tension the belts of either one you have to slack off three bolts and then use a large screwdriver or crowbar to lever the alternator away from the engine and then hold it there whilst you do up the bolts again.

On my previous boat the alternator was supported by a threaded rod which enabled you to tension the belt accurately and easily by turning a single nut. Much more civilised. How would I go about adding this facility to my present boat.

My Clipper 50 has a BMC 1.8 fitted with two alternators - the original plus an additional 70 amp one. To tension the belts of either one you have to slack off three bolts and then use a large screwdriver or crowbar to lever the alternator away from the engine and then hold it there whilst you do up the bolts again.

On my previous boat the alternator was supported by a threaded rod which enabled you to tension the belt accurately and easily by turning a single nut. Much more civilised. How would I go about adding this facility to my present boat.

Measure up the slotted bracket or even take it off as a pattern. Go to a local scrappy and start looking for cars with a suitable slotted bracket plus the extras you want. Possibly off a later Metro?

I suspect that you might have a fruitless search so the lever will starts to look good.

Measure up the slotted bracket or even take it off as a pattern. Go to a local scrappy and start looking for cars with a suitable slotted bracket plus the extras you want. Possibly off a later Metro?

I suspect that you might have a fruitless search so the lever will starts to look good.

You could try Peachments, the Nanni dealers, as they had this system on the 3.110 engine and should carry spares. It may then be possible to adapt it to fit yours.