Air draught on Viking boats?

stort_mark

Featured Posts

I know that the air draught on a Viking 26 GRP cruiser is 6'8" (somewhat less on the 28 and 32) but is that the height with the windscreen up or lowered? Also, how much leeway is there in that 6'*'. Does a full fuel and water tank, passengers (including mother-in-law) reduce that height? (Keen, especially to hear from actual Viking owners)

I know that the air draught on a Viking 26 GRP cruiser is 6'8" (somewhat less on the 28 and 32) but is that the height with the windscreen up or lowered? Also, how much leeway is there in that 6'*'. Does a full fuel and water tank, passengers (including mother-in-law) reduce that height? (Keen, especially to hear from actual Viking owners)

I thought this was a continuation of your "first pound lock" post!

Afraid I can't answer your question.

I took a Viking 26 up the Northampton arm to the GU, up the GU, along the Oxford and later along the Stratford with no problems whatsoever, except for a bulging lock wall on the Stratford, where the bulge co-incided with the boat's max beam (higher than an nb's max beam). The keeper told me the proper width for the Stratford was 6'8" in Nicholson's, which I later discovered to be untrue . . .

The lowest bridge I came to was the concrete one just at the pub just before Oundle marina - think I had about 6 inches clearance.

Having said all that, there are several bridges on the GU where I felt safer with the screen down, and it only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Edited by ChrisG

Do you still have the Viking 26? I'm really keen to get the answers to all the questions I asked. :wub:

No - long gone. Never really noted if a few gallons on fuel or water made more any difference to air draft, etc - I might have if it was any sort of issue from my pov.