Houdini Hatches

Featured Posts

I favour portholes so think a couple of Houdini hatches would be a good idea for light and ventilation. (I've discounted pigeon boxes because "they leak" and add height to the profile.)

So, if you have a houdini hatch installed, what are the advantages and disadvantages, please?

We have two "Houdini Hatches" on emilyanne.

- One meduim sized one over the "livingroom" table, and a large one over the engine room.

There both great, they fully seal when closed, open out a lot for ventilation, and always let in lots of light. The one over the engine room used to be a pigion box, but we deceided we wanted much more light, and also i always driped onto the engine a little, which is not really very good. the one over the table is also great, it should be the bigger but the roof was made to accept a size that didnt fit, so we had to fitt the next size down!

- I personaly think there great, but more light, and much warmer in winter.

- We still have one pigeon over the "kitchen" and when ever you cook in the rain you get drips down the back of your neck, also its has never shut properley eather.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Houdini hatch, it's about 12" or 14" square. It does it's job, doesn't leak, no more condensation than on any other window. Very convenient way to let in a lot of air when you want to and latches that can be locked in the "part open" position.

My only concern is that I was of the opinion that it's called a "Houdini" because it's an escape route. My missus would never get thro a little hole like that! :D

Edited by Guest

As has been said if you have a boat with an all porthole design your really need some extra light and ventilation in the roof area.

But what is wrong with a pigeon box, if you know someone who has one that leaks it only means that it has been designed or made wrongly, this defeatist attitude seems very common on here.

I have made one from brass sheet, riveted and soldered. It has never leaked a drop in 13 years, the trick is to make it in one piece so that the entire unit can be lifted an inch or two for ventilation. The pitched nature of the design does not allow condensation to flow anywhere but out onto the roof.

Edited by John Orentas

We have a Houdini hatch, it's about 12" or 14" square. It does it's job, doesn't leak, no more condensation than on any other window. Very convenient way to let in a lot of air when you want to and latches that can be locked in the "part open" position.

My only concern is that I was of the opinion that it's called a "Houdini" because it's an escape route. My missus would never get thro a little hole like that!  :D

In an emergency you will be surprised how small a hole anybody can get through.Hi.gif

... surprised how small a hole anybody can get through

Yeah, you're right, I keep getting into a hole myself - and if the missus sees what I just said about her and the Houdini, I'll be in another one :D

I'll be in one here too, for being :D

Peter

We have a houdini hatch over the centre of our galley on this boat and I find that it is reducing the level of condensation throughout the boat when I am cooking, compared to our previous boat which didn't have a houdini hatch.

But what is wrong with a pigeon box..

Nothing at all, its jist personal choice isnt it. Personally i'd rather have the extra a light, but i see that a lot of people would rather have the more traditial pigeon box.

- I agree that saying "pigeon boxes leak" is not a reason, simply becuase they dont have to, ours does if its windy, but only becuase it donsnt shut properly. (long story, but its fine how it is)

Daniel