Convert GU10 fittings to LED

David

Featured Posts

Hi

I've looked on the usual LED light sites Ultrad, JM etc but there does not seem to be anyway to fit 12volt LEDs into GU10 fittings, there are GU5 12volt LEDs which look to have a similar pin and turn fitting (not familiar with this type) but presume they would not fit into a 230volt GU10 fitting, which is a pity as I have a couple of single spot GU10's unused and new which I thought I could try out LED lamps in to see what they were like on the boat. As anyone any idea if it can be done.

david

I have looked into this an came to the conclusion that because GU10 is a 240V standard, some regulation somewhere prohibits 12V options (what about bus bulbs? they cry.... o the good ol' days).

So the only option is to swap out the bulb holders for GU5.3, which you can buy on their own. The GU10 fittings in IKEA are, strangely, much better designed and built than the 12V ones.

Hi

I've looked on the usual LED light sites Ultrad, JM etc but there does not seem to be anyway to fit 12volt LEDs into GU10 fittings, there are GU5 12volt LEDs which look to have a similar pin and turn fitting (not familiar with this type) but presume they would not fit into a 230volt GU10 fitting, which is a pity as I have a couple of single spot GU10's unused and new which I thought I could try out LED lamps in to see what they were like on the boat. As anyone any idea if it can be done.

david

David have a look on www.lyco.co.uk under the low energy section you may find something there to meet your requirements.

Hi

Thanks for the replies, will try Lyco after this post. Have to agree about the bus bulbs etc I have a couple of 230volt originally table lamps with bus bulbs in and other 230volt bulb light fittings modified to take either bus or auto bulbs, with of course the 230volt plug swopped for my standard 12 volt outlets (again originally intended as 230volt) round pin 5amp plugs and sockets

regards david

I have bought some G4 halogen units from John Lewis for my boat and stripped out the transformer from one and replaced the halogens with G4 LEDs from Bedazzled to judge what they may look like. Not so sure if I will buy all my LEDs from Bedazzled as the pair cost £30 :lol:

I have posted photos on the public gallery.