Big single pot diesels

magnetman

Featured Posts

At the moment im trying to gather as much info on 2 stroke diesels in relation to the exhaust / expansion box , as it would make life easier if i could fabricate a different one.

I take it the side mounted expansion chamber is going to get in the way? They usually severley restrict the room down that side of the engine as they're nearly as wide as the engine itself!

The trouble is, you must have it or the engine will not scavenge properly. That's why those annoying little 2 stoke motor bikes have the bee-in-a-can noise - expansion chamber!

I'm not really up on Kromhout's (internally wise). It may be potentially possible to rotate the cylinder through 90 deg and have the expansion chamber at the front/rear of the cylinder. It will all depend on the inlet/scavange ports and the cylinder oiling arrangements. Probably more trouble than its worth.

You'll just have to go through engine room port side only (or duck an burn)

The plan is to put it in my Northwich Trader over the winter.Should be fun as its such a tight fit, i just hope my measurements are right!!

The other question is - whats coming out?

You must have a fair bit of room to get the 'Big K' in

I take it the side mounted expansion chamber is going to get in the way? They usually severley restrict the room down that side of the engine as they're nearly as wide as the engine itself!

The trouble is, you must have it or the engine will not scavenge properly. That's why those annoying little 2 stoke motor bikes have the bee-in-a-can noise - expansion chamber!

I'm not really up on Kromhout's (internally wise). It may be potentially possible to rotate the cylinder through 90 deg and have the expansion chamber at the front/rear of the cylinder. It will all depend on the inlet/scavange ports and the cylinder oiling arrangements. Probably more trouble than its worth.

My little Sabb has an expansion box shaped like a cheese on its edge. One flat face of the cheese is coupled to the cylinder port, the exhaust pipe goes out of the top, or edge, of the 'cheese'. Maybe something along those lines would help, if you work out a size of cheese to give the same volume as the existing box.

It may not be as simple as that, of course. Crossleys used a reflecting pressure wave within the exhaust manifold to improve scavenging, this had obviously been carefully developed and they lost market share in later years because they were reluctant to spend the potentially large sums involved in redeveloping the design for turbocharging. They did do it in the end, though.

Tim

Ive been told if i move the exhaust through 90 degrees, the curve needs to be as smooth as possible, work out the origional volume, and keep the overall volume the same.

Fortunatly this engine has a fairly conventional forward / reverse gearbox as standard.