leeds liverpool trip

GavinB

Featured Posts

Hi

Not sure what people think of canoe's on the canals but a few of us are thinking of doing the leeds liverpool canal by canoe for charity.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for us before we begin to plan the trip, any recommendations for places to stay overnight that are close to the canal for example.

Anything we should be aware of before we set out ??

Are canoes a good idea travelling through the Foulridge tunel, i hear of people not taking notice of the lights all the time and meeting a boat coming the other way half way through dont sound too good.

Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers

Gavin

As far as I know, unpowered craft aren't allowed through tunnels. So you'll need to either carry them over (it's only a mile! :) ), or contact BW to see if they can help in someway with it being a charity event.

We see lots of canoes on the L&L.

My dad used to be a keen L&L canoeist and somewhere at home I have a book entitled (something like) 'Canoeing on Canals' - will check it out for you.

There are a fair few B&B's in the Pendle area with one backing onto the canal. Plenty of accomodation in Skipton.

This may be of interest.

http://www.canoecampingclub.co.uk/issue227/crouc227.htm

From Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society

Canoeing - It is also possible to travel the canal by canoe, though you must either be a member of the British Canoe Union or obtain a permit from British Waterways who will also supply a copy of their code for users of unpowered craft. It contains practical advice to help you enjoy canoeing on the canal, safely and without upsetting other canal users. Always remember, canoes are difficult to see from larger boats so they are not allowed in locks or through Foulridge or Gannow tunnels.

I recollect reading an account - it mght have been a newspaper - not internet, about a group doing Leeds to Lverpool for charity - try the Yorkshire Post webste.

Hope ths helps

PS It (used to be, I'm out of date) cheaper to jon the BCU than pay BW.

A tip for you I think should be included in your safety brief...

Some of the swing bridges on the L&L are very low. Getting under the low bridges is a simple case of paddling towards them and leaning back so you are prone as you go under the bridge. However, before sitting upright again the canoeist needs to make sure he is fully out from under the bridge. I know it sounds common sense but a lot of the steel bridges are hollow underneath and it's possible, by sitting up to early to raise your head up into the structure of the bridge deck. I know a chap who got it wrong and the resulting accident broke his nose and cost him 4 front teeth.

I remember some marines ran/canoed the canal over a weekend. There are a lot of swing bridges, some of which you wont get under. Other than them and the two tunnels I cant see any problems for you. Let us know when you are doing it so we can wave you on.

We've done a lot of the Leeds Liverpool in our dinghy, and can vouch for the fact that you can cruise under most of the swing bridges if you're careful. There's a tendency to get showered with flakes of rust as you pull yourself through, but great fun, particularly when there's a weekend sailor behind you who is expecting you to open the bridge!

Let us know when you're intending to do it.

Janet