council tax

deggers

Featured Posts

I don't understand the "government land" point. BWML is a limited company. BW may own the freehold but BWML are the lessees. They will be liable for business rates as such. It could be argued that in seeking to raise council tax from their live aboard moorers the council is getting the money twice over, but I'm not convinced that would hold water.

BWML is a limited company wholly publically owned! You're right though, the government owns no land. It is responsible for the administration of land owned by the public, ie...us!

Council Tax liability is a complex issue for boat residents. If you had the exclusive right to your mooring - that is no one else is permitted to use it - then you would be liable to pay Band A Council Tax. However many marinas reserve the right within the small print of their mooring agreements to move you to another mooring if necessary - this will be for reasons of maintenance and generally reserving their rights. I recall there was a case concerning a marina that fell under te Belper District Council in Derbyshire. They sought to levy council tax from live aboards there. A neighbouring council then looked at the issue, but were advised by their legal officers that boats did not qualify as a hereditament under the General rate Act of 1967. On learning of that advice I believe Belper then refunded the boaters.

I don't understand the "government land" point. BWML is a limited company. BW may own the freehold but BWML are the lessees. They will be liable for business rates as such. It could be argued that in seeking to raise council tax from their live aboard moorers the council is getting the money twice over, but I'm not convinced that would hold water.

You're best sticking with the above, which appears to place you outside the scope of Council Tax.

I add that I am not a legal expert on this, this is merely my understanding of the position. You would do well to join the RBOA (Residential Boat Owners' Association). It is very cheap - and they can give you the full low down.

Hope this helps.

Dominic

Hi Dominic,

Regarding council tax, how do they charge you on a residential mooring, is it number of bedrooms, length of boat or some other weird calculation.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Dominic,

Regarding council tax, how do they charge you on a residential mooring, is it number of bedrooms, length of boat or some other weird calculation.

Cheers

Simon

As said already, in most cases it is Band A, the lowest band. If you are moored in an area of very high property values, the council may claim that you are using 70ft of prime real estate with a value of £750 000 and therefore should pay in a higher band. Most people manage to bargain their way out of this.

I have two boats on one mooring. The council wanted to charge me for 2 lots of council tax. I sent a letter including photos and plan of the mooring to the VOA. They very quickly told the council that I had one property for council tax purposes.

So tell me, do you need planning permission for a residential mooring?And what is the differentiation between a residential mooring and one where someone simply 'is there a lot'. And what is the legal position of someone living on a non-residential mooring (as defined in their lease)?
Hi Chris PinkThe way I feel is that if you can get away with living on a residential mooring or a non residential mooring good luck.I feel we should be totally exempt and although we do pay and our local council is quite hot on getting people to register, we are locked in and I dont give any info about our marina, its down to BW and my colleagues to find out. But Legislation wise, on a non residential mooring you are allowed to stay for 5 nights at a time - but whos counting. If a boat on a residential mooring moves off for a cruise for a couple of months legislation considers this the same as someone in a house going away on holiday therefore they will be coming back at some time and so the time they are away is on full charge. Just another way for the government to get our hard earned money. Thats it really.Hope it helps.
I new a tax collector would be spying somewere big brother is watching :P
Hi DennisWhat do you do for a living then..... its amazing what jobs people have living on boats.Im not big brother - or a spy - but youre right we dont knnow who is out there.I also design faeries and mermaids so how does that equate.....hehehe

Hi Chris PinkThe way I feel is that if you can get away with living on a residential mooring or a non residential mooring good luck.I feel we should be totally exempt and although we do pay and our local council is quite hot on getting people to register, we are locked in and I dont give any info about our marina, its down to BW and my colleagues to find out. But Legislation wise, on a non residential mooring you are allowed to stay for 5 nights at a time - but whos counting. If a boat on a residential mooring moves off for a cruise for a couple of months legislation considers this the same as someone in a house going away on holiday therefore they will be coming back at some time and so the time they are away is on full charge. Just another way for the government to get our hard earned money. Thats it really.Hope it helps. Hi DennisWhat do you do for a living then..... its amazing what jobs people have living on boats.Im not big brother - or a spy - but youre right we dont knnow who is out there.I also design faeries and mermaids so how does that equate.....hehehe

:P ok wheres the V A T man,, wheres he lurking :D encrypting isp add now and becomming invisible