BATH AND CALORIFIER SIZE

Featured Posts

HI

FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH BATHS - WHAT SIZE CALORIFIER DOES IT NEED?

( NORMAL SIZE BATH NOT A HIP OR 3/4 SIZE.)

THANKS TANIA

No more shouting otherwise I'll set Bones on you.

To use a full size bath you will need a very large amount of generated heat. On a mooring or with a wide where you have a large engine you will draw alot of power to heat the water. It is not really feasable to fill a full size bath on a narrow boat.

Mariners tend to take showers and if they are very good (bad) take Hollywood showers. Hope this helps.

However to keep you joyful, just pop 'round my place and.........

I would have thought the size of the hot water tank would have to be, say, 40% of the bath size to allow you a fill of the bath with a 90% hot + 10% cold mix to give you a decent bath. (Those 'back of fag packet' figures are based on how I would run a bath when I had a flat, so caveat that may not work for all)

So I would say work backwards from there.

If it's realistically possible, that's another question after you've worked out the volumes required.

Edited by Chris J W

If the hot water has been heated by the engine or a diesel heater it will be around 80degC. Since around 40degC is a typical maximum bath temperature and your cold water will be around 5 degC (winter) up to maybe 12degC (summer) then the hot cold mix will be closer to 50/50% (with the bias towards more cold than hot) rather than 90/10% IMHO.

Chris

ok i did not mean to shout- why on earth would anyone think i had reason to shout.

just cap locks stuck

anyway no-one anwered my question- well what a surprise on this forum.

i am not on a narrowboat and i am not a mariner and i also know that other people do have baths (even on narrowboats.)

so lets try this again- for those of you with baths and who use them what size calorifier do you find works well.

if anyone has some useful figures to add in response to the question please do so.

incidentally, my webasto heats to around 70 degress not 80

If the hot water has been heated by the engine or a diesel heater it will be around 80degC. Since around 40degC is a typical maximum bath temperature and your cold water will be around 5 degC (winter) up to maybe 12degC (summer) then the hot cold mix will be closer to 50/50% (with the bias towards more cold than hot) rather than 90/10% IMHO.

Chris

Sorry you feel that way, BornJoyful.

My figures may have been out a bit (thanks 'Chris W' for clarifying temps) - but I'd still say that work out the volume of hot water you need for a decent bath and then work backwards from there.

HI

FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH BATHS - WHAT SIZE CALORIFIER DOES IT NEED?

( NORMAL SIZE BATH NOT A HIP OR 3/4 SIZE.)

THANKS TANIA

Just measured a full size bath that is awaiting a skip. I worked out that it would need about 100 litres of water for a decent bath. Using Chris's 50/50 mix for 80 degc would suggest 50 litre minimum calorifier. I have forgotten how big our calorifier is but it is a standard sized one (50 litres or so?), but after a cruise it will provide two fills of our 4ft bath to a reasonable level.

Just measured a full size bath that is awaiting a skip. I worked out that it would need about 100 litres of water for a decent bath. Using Chris's 50/50 mix for 80 degc would suggest 50 litre minimum calorifier. I have forgotten how big our calorifier is but it is a standard sized one (50 litres or so?), but after a cruise it will provide two fills of our 4ft bath to a reasonable level.

The average (full-size) bath needs about 80 litres total.

Chris

ok, we had a full size bath on the narrow boat, it was such a good thing we put one on the dutch barge, calory fire is 40cmx120cm what liter that is i dont know (100L ish?) but its perfect, eficent to heat, 40 mins with engine running, 5hrs of back boiler, or 3 hrs imersion, take yr pick. we all have a bath once a week, o moor if wer crusing, and pass a water point!

and its nice to shower in a bath, loads of elbow room, i hate shower cubicles,

bath in NB was cut into floor so you steped down into it, so even our tall freinds could have a comfy shower

ok, we had a full size bath on the narrow boat, it was such a good thing we put one on the dutch barge, calory fire is 40cmx120cm what liter that is i dont know (100L ish?) but its perfect, eficent to heat, 40 mins with engine running, 5hrs of back boiler, or 3 hrs imersion, take yr pick. we all have a bath once a week, o moor if wer crusing, and pass a water point!

and its nice to shower in a bath, loads of elbow room, i hate shower cubicles,

bath in NB was cut into floor so you steped down into it, so even our tall freinds could have a comfy shower

Agree