Another engine identification post

uncle nick

Featured Posts

Thanks for the reply Tony. 
I’ve no proof on the age of the engine, or the boat for that matter, so it could be that old. 
However, from asking on here for help identifying the age or builder, it was suggested the CaRT number (519542) could be 1992.

I’m just the spanner passer, rather than the engineer doing the work. What should we be looking for regarding the injector pump drive?

If you are stripping it then there are free to download manuals online.

At the back of the port side of the engine, below the exhaust manifold, you will see a large and smaller hexagon heads. The large one has the hexagon horizontal and a bit below that and a bit further back is the smaller one that is set onto a bulge in the casting, the face is vertical. The horizontal one has the strainer under it and the vertical one the oil jet, make sure they are clean and intact. This is a service item. If you are unlucky enough to find them clogged, then the camshaft and/or the injector pump drive gears many be badly worn.

The CaRT number is not a very reliable proof of age, only the time the boat was registered with BW/CaRT. It might have come from a non-CaRT waterway at some time.

Thanks for the very helpful, detailed info, I’ll be sure to pass it on. 
I’ve got a manual for the 1800 which I believe can be used for pump settings but I haven’t found any working links to a 1500 manual yet. I do have the service notes though. 
So far the head is off to be skimmed, valves and injectors checked. Also planning to check and decarbon the glow plugs and mounting holes. 
Anything else you’d advise at this stage?

11 minutes ago, Momac said:

Thanks for the reply and info. I’d seen that page when searching but completely missed the 48G reference as I was concentrating on RN. Well spotted! 
Do you think the actual year matters much for ordering parts?

11 minutes ago, uncle nick said:

Do you think the actual year matters much for ordering parts?

I don't think so, just stick with 1.5D stuff and avoid 1800CC info because although a lot is the same the injector pump drive and timing gear is very different.

Manual - just ignore the 2.5 stuff http://www.boatservicehaarlem.nl/bmc_tempest.pdf

14 hours ago, uncle nick said:

However, from asking on here for help identifying the age or builder, it was suggested the CaRT number (519542) could be 1992.

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The CaRT number is not a very reliable proof of age, only the time the boat was registered with BW/CaRT. It might have come from a non-CaRT waterway at some time.

CRT registration no 519542 is certainly not from 1992.  I don't have access to the data at the moment, but is well post 2000.

As Tony suggests though a modern CRT number is not a meaningful way of determining boat age -one of my  boats has a 6 digit 501vxxx number, but was built in 1936.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

As Tony suggests though a modern CRT number is not a meaningful way of determining boat age -one of my  boats has a 6 digit 501vxxx number, but was built in 1936.

Wow, it’s getting on a bit but pretty certain it’s not that old! 😀

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

If @uncle nick posts some photos of the boat, there are members who might be able to give an informed guess at its age and possibly builder.

I did Tony. When we first went to look at the boat prior to buying it. The lack of reliability using the CaRT number to date it was mentioned then also.

NB Esk believes it’s a Wakefield boat.  Boats, built at Thornes Wharf but I haven’t been able to find anything more about them either