Marinas and leisure moorings.

nelson

Featured Posts

Hi,

I would like to take up a CRT mooring on the K and A at Devizes.

They are sold on the basis of a Leisure mooring but I want a live aboard.

How strict is the leisure mooring basis I wonder? There are no live aboard moorings being advertised nationally, I dont want to break the rules so, can anyone advise on this.

Alternatively, I could go into a mooring at the Devizes marinas, can anyone recommend them or elsewhere, It could be Saltford Or Keynsham, Bradford upon Avon.

Any advise welcome.

Regards,

Nelson.

Is that the one at the top of the flight? If so I'm sure there are a few people living there.

Devizes marina have a few official residential moorings, but they tend to always be full....even their leisure moorings. Caen hill marina, while advertising leisure only, do in fact tolerate liveaboards as long as you keep your head down and don't annoy people. 

I'm sure you'd get away with living on a CRT mooring, again as long as you keep your head down. 

I don't know the person who manages those moorings, but I do know that the CRT person who manages another set of moorings has a very pragmatic view. Ultimately, it will be noticed if you are always aboard, so one way of tackling this is to ring the contact number for the mooring you are interested in and ask to speak to whoever manages them, and clarify whether there are any limits on how much time you might spend aboard. They can answer this question without breaking any rules - unlike if you ask 'can I live aboard'? which has the official answer of 'no'.

In my (limited) experience, CRT is well aware of people living aboard at moorings which are not technically residential, and doesn't have a problem with it. It has a problem with people who try to break the rules on CCing and who act in an entitled or disruptive fashion. There are so many of these, and they are so far ahead on the list of issues to deal with, that someone quietly going about their business and paying their way is really not going to be a priority for decades (if it ever is).

Alec