BMC 1.5 stop lever.

GBW

Featured Posts

The stop solenoid usually has insufficient pull to close the stop valve. 

The valve return spring has insufficient push to open it.

It would seem the valve is sticky.

I have been unable to discover how the shaft is held in the injection pump.  

Can anyone advise please?

7 minutes ago, GBW said:

The stop solenoid usually has insufficient pull to close the stop valve. 

The valve return spring has insufficient push to open it.

It would seem the valve is sticky.

I have been unable to discover how the shaft is held in the injection pump.  

Can anyone advise please?

Assuming it is not one of the rare 1.5s with the mechanical pump.

The spindle on the stop has a groove machined all around it and one of the small bolts holding the governor turret on passes through this groove, so take the bolt out and the arm and spindle should just pull out. There is nothing to be sticky unless some diesel has oxidised around the spindle. there is an O ring around the shaft and the other end is just a flat machined onto the spindle that pushed the governor valve down against a degree of hydraulic pressure.

When operating the stop lever on a running engine by hand, I have never noticed much force is required.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I don't know the terminology so thought I would do some research. I had associated bihex with 12pt spline hence my clarification but more out of ignorance as it's not a term I've heard before. I was aware of a square based fastener called a triple square (XZN) that is also 12 sided.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_wrench

It seems we should clarify by saying "triple square 12-point" or "12-point double hexagon".

17 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

I don't know the terminology so thought I would do some research. I had associated bihex with 12pt spline hence my clarification but more out of ignorance as it's not a term I've heard before. I was aware of a square based fastener called a triple square (XZN) that is also 12 sided.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_wrench

It seems we should clarify by saying "triple square 12-point" or "12-point double hexagon".

I will stick to the term used throughout my working life to describe most sockets and ring spanners.