Lock 9 Hebden Bridge Rochdale Canal

dmr

Featured Posts

If you dare to go through Blackpit Lock on a Bank Holiday Monday then this is the sort of crowd to expect.  A lot of cyclists have gone past today including a bloke on what looked like an electric conversion of a vintage motobike, and even he didn't get an audience.

A canal without boats really is a muddy ditch.

Lonk on BH monday IMG_7617.jpg

• Haha 2

That particular section is always busy - similar to lock 19 at Todd. We went through about 5 weeks ago, and had the misfortune of one rude couple commenting about the cleanliness of boaters! Maybe it was just me who made a bad impression!

How is the pound just after by the way? When we got water from there, we decided couldn't stay in the basin because water levels were a bloody nightmare. Between Shire and Brontë going down (and then back up) every day, it didn't like the idea of sleeping at an angle. 

Hillberry seems to have managed without issue though - wonder if that's the benefit of a widebeam?

The Hebden pound is still low, we struggled to turn on Friday, and "The Hillbillies" were well leaning over.

Lock 10 failed yesterday so the Bronte day boats went downstream using more water from that pound. I reported lock 10 and CRT fixed it quickly.

We are moored above lock 9 and a load of water went past this afternoon so somebody (Bronte Day Boats?) has messed up and now there is a stoppage due to low water. I really need to get up to Tod tomorrow so hope the levels recover.

I note that lock 8 is leaking significantly at the bottom gate cill which might be adding to the troubles.

and just walked down with the dog, the Hebden pound is looking almost full, and the earlier water surge was a very experienced boater having a bad moment, slapped wrists for blaming the hire boat.😀