Worcester and Birmingham Canal Worcester Wharf History

Dannyboy21

Featured Posts

Good afternoon all,

I'm trying to find information about my 2x Great Grandfather Rowland Granville Long (1829-1899).  In the 1871 census is states he and his family lived at Machine House @ Worcester Wharf and he was a Public Wharfinger to the wharf.  I've seen the old maps to show where the wharf and house were but would be grateful if anyone knows any more or can point me in the right direction.  I've been told 'Heartland' is the font of knowledge so I'm especially reaching out to Ray.  He must have done all right for himself as his headstone at Yardley Cemetery is quite impressive.  Any information is much appreciated.

regards

Dan

Excluding Diglis as far as I know there were wharfs at
canal side below the junction of Tolladine Rd and Shrub Hill Rd
Lowesmoor Wharf
a couple where the Blackpole Trading Estate was.

Have you looked on the National Museum of Scotland map collection?

Well Worcester Wharf is a complicated story and one that was altered by the making of the Midland Railway into Birmingham New Street.

in my book Gas Street Trail, I show where the public wharf was in 1864 pre railway alteration and 1890 post railway alterations 

In context with Graham Davis's comments, the Worcester & Birmingham Canal had wharves at different locations along its length, the Worcester & Birmingham Canal in Birmingham had a number that extended from Granville Street to the junction with the BCN at Gas Street. The public wharf was on the offside. at the turn, and part remains facing the Mail Box development- it is on the offside opposite the bars and shops and the walkway that leads to the bridge that spans the main canal. if you stand on that bridge with all the locks on it and look to the Mailbox, the Public Wharf was on the left.

Yardley is a big cemetery, which end is the headstone?

As to Mr Long have you looked at the 1881 census and 1891 census?

It appears Rowland Long had a career as a clerk and allied occupations. The 1881 Census has him in Commercial Street, associated with the coal trade. 

Public Wharfinger is an occupation worthy of mention, as the "public wharf" was a feature of canal company owned wharves where traffic could received and despatched for general use instead of the more common dedicated facilities for canal carriers or private use such as coal wharves. Rowland itinerant life of moving from job to job seemingly touched on the canal trade but also involved other jobs such as a brewers clerk.

I suspect that the move from the Public Wharf to Commercial Street was through the reconstruction of the Wharf for the Midland Railway

The headstone is of interest as it is difficult to find a will.

RG Long.jpeg

RGLong 1881.jpg

Edited by Heartland