Recreational Craft Directive stops the Norman Conquest.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

While not directly relevant to the original topic, here's redacted copies of the documents relating to the CE exemption for my late brother-in- law's boat.

For the benefit of those who do not know french, the Bureau Veritas letter confirms that Directive 94/25/CE does not apply because the boat (built in 1975) was made to a design established before 1950, using essentially the original materisls,  as evidenced by the drawings dated 24th March 1938 and therefore did not need CE conformance.  As the (European) CE confirmance directive was not applicable, the French maritime authority of the port where the boat was to be kept should be approached.

It also confirns that, should the CE requirements become applicable subsequently,  it would be impossible to provide the applicable flotation in accordance with ISO standards, equivalent to 2 tonnes displacement, without modifying its traditional character.

The second page is the decision of the port of Le Havre. On reading it again for the first time in 10 years, I see it only allows use in daylight  (no doubt explaining why he never fitted the navigation lights that came with it), and that there is no mention of the 3 nautical miles limit that my brother-in-law had mentioned:  perhaps that was something to do with insurance.

All the original paperwork was passed on to the purchaser- these are some scans that I found I still have on my old laptop.   The note at the foot of the page, which my brother-in-law seems to have overlooked in his relief at getting it registered, relates to the requirement for CE compliance if sold within 5 years, no doubt the reason for the Bureau Veritas warning. The Notaire (located in the port of Fècamp) said he had  never come across this condition before when I pointed it out to him, and so had to delay the formal date of sale by almost a month in order to exceed the 5 year point. 

Exemptiion docs .pdf

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos