Boat buying

Tescogran

Featured Posts

Hi Folks This is my first post. I'm looking at 2 boats on the K&A having seen them advertised on Apollo Duck as private advertisers. Is there a way to check ownership? Would BW confirm who holds the licence ? As I'm sure people will appreciate it's a lot of dosh to part with! I know I!'m being a questioning old bat! The forum is great but really addictive and I've picked up so much information,thanks folks.

Hi Folks This is my first post. I'm looking at 2 boats on the K&A having seen them advertised on Apollo Duck as private advertisers. Is there a way to check ownership? Would BW confirm who holds the licence ? As I'm sure people will appreciate it's a lot of dosh to part with! I know I!'m being a questioning old bat! The forum is great but really addictive and I've picked up so much information,thanks folks.

Unfortunately in the UK there is no official legal document of title, licence details and the boats documented history will give you some assurance but are not foolproof.

Generally speaking I don't know of any major incidents involving stolen boats but the involvement of banks and other financial institutions could be a concern with the state of the country at the moment concerning finance and assets.

A good contract of sale is a must and might offer a little added protection.

Hi Folks This is my first post. I'm looking at 2 boats on the K&A .... The forum is great but really addictive and I've picked up so much information,thanks folks.

The K&A Trust produces a very impressive magazine if you want a further source of local information.

http://www.katrust.org/membership.htm

Information on boat buying on the http://www.c-b-a.co.uk/buy-a-boat/index.php?Itemid=33 and http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/buying-a-boat

HTH

Rob

Yes, as Gary says, it's not so much stolen boats that are the worry for buyers but outstanding finance. I've no idea how to check this - Why don't we have HPI checks for second hand boats like we do for cars? Is the market not big enough?

Edited by blackrose

Hi Tesco.

Yes it can be a real worry this business, as Blackie says the main problem is whether the vendor has full title to the boat and therefore entitled to sell it.. You do hear horror stories about large blokes turning up on your doorstep and saying "Oy. what are you doing on this boat, half of it is mine".

I have recently sold my boat, I gave the buyer a 'statement of ownership' which satisfied him, I also gave him the names of several people who would vouch for me and the boat.

If it helps, let me have an Email address and I will copy it to you.