PSS shaft seal - swapping old plastic hose connector

Featured Posts

If anyone has an older PSS shaft seal, the hose barb on the carbon bit might be made of nylon. This always struck me as vulnerable - I always worried I’d kick it or sit on it and snap it off, leaving an unwelcome hole in the bottom of the boat. If this is you also, read on… 

PSS have now changed this to a nice stainless barb - see below:

image.jpeg.ca23bd8ea78b95d580efa44666460035.jpeg
You can’t screw a stainless fitting straight into the carbon as it will crack it, hence the black plastic bush you can see above. I wanted to upgrade but you can’t retro-fit these new bits, and a new carbon stator costs megabucks (especially when you have two). 

So I sourced a nylon bush that screws into the 1/4 NPT hole in the old stator, and accepts a 1/8 NPT stainless barb for the 10mm hose. I fitted them yesterday and they are perfect - nice and sturdy. 

The thing is (and the reason for this rather idiosyncratic post) that the nylon bush is quite unusual, and the best supply I could find was a pack of 10 shipped from the US. Still my best option, but pricey for some little plastic bits. See here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tefen-Fitting-Pipe-Bushing-1-4in-NPT-x-1-8in-NPT-10-Pack-/224284438720?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

The stainless hose barb was easier - £7 each and sold singly: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Stainless-10mm-Hose-Barb-Tail-1-8-NPT-Male-Straight-Connector-Fitting-/304061996300?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Finally getting to the point, I now have a bag of 8 expensive nylon bushes that will sit in a bits box forever. And it struck me that if anyone else would like to do the same upgrade, they are easy to stick in an envelope and post - you’d just need to get one of the stainless barbs above to go with it. 

So if anyone wants one drop me a DM with your address - no charge, it’s just a stamp. 

Edited by Thames Bhaji

• 1 year later...

would love to have two for my vessel, they are out of stock everywhere.

On 16/03/2022 at 08:16, Thames Bhaji said:

If anyone has an older PSS shaft seal, the hose barb on the carbon bit might be made of nylon. This always struck me as vulnerable - I always worried I’d kick it or sit on it and snap it off, leaving an unwelcome hole in the bottom of the boat. If this is you also, read on… 

PSS have now changed this to a nice stainless barb - see below:

image.jpeg.ca23bd8ea78b95d580efa44666460035.jpeg
You can’t screw a stainless fitting straight into the carbon as it will crack it, hence the black plastic bush you can see above. I wanted to upgrade but you can’t retro-fit these new bits, and a new carbon stator costs megabucks (especially when you have two). 

So I sourced a nylon bush that screws into the 1/4 NPT hole in the old stator, and accepts a 1/8 NPT stainless barb for the 10mm hose. I fitted them yesterday and they are perfect - nice and sturdy. 

The thing is (and the reason for this rather idiosyncratic post) that the nylon bush is quite unusual, and the best supply I could find was a pack of 10 shipped from the US. Still my best option, but pricey for some little plastic bits. See here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tefen-Fitting-Pipe-Bushing-1-4in-NPT-x-1-8in-NPT-10-Pack-/224284438720?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

The stainless hose barb was easier - £7 each and sold singly: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Stainless-10mm-Hose-Barb-Tail-1-8-NPT-Male-Straight-Connector-Fitting-/304061996300?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Finally getting to the point, I now have a bag of 8 expensive nylon bushes that will sit in a bits box forever. And it struck me that if anyone else would like to do the same upgrade, they are easy to stick in an envelope and post - you’d just need to get one of the stainless barbs above to go with it. 

So if anyone wants one drop me a DM with your address - no charge, it’s just a stamp.