toilets, sorry not a pleasant question

kookie

Featured Posts

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Sorry if your eating .

We moved onto our boat about 5 weeks ago, and so far, most little niggles have been sorted out.

We have 2 loos, a macerater (sp) at the back and what I think is a vacuum jobbie in the main bathroom. The first couple of weeks, we only used the macerater 'cos i didn't like the look of the flap thingy in the other. We successfully pumped the loo we had used with the help of a friend for the first time after a couple of weeks, and after that we used both loos. We came to pump out a couple of days ago, and the macerater one seemed to go ok, but the other one, which we think was full, didn't seem to go so well, but obviously, we arent experienced enough to really know.

The pipe didn't seem to really 'pump and flex' if you know what I mean, when we were doing the other one, like it did when we did the macerater.

Now, 2 days later, the loo seems to be full again, when you flush it, it acts like a bloked loo, throwing bits back into the bowel, and when the little flap thingy is open, it looks all compacted.

The loo itself has a little plastic cap thingy at the back behind the seat and lid which comes off, and it says Sealand domestic on it.

The 'boat owners manual' that came with the boat says its a Mansfield Traveller, but I'm not sure this is correct, because a lot of the boat's bits and bieces and details are actually different from the manual.

Can anyone ofer any advice as to how you clear any blockages, we dont know if its still full, and we hvent actually emptied it properly, or if its blocked right up near the loo itself.

edited to add, ive pulled a few bits off, and found its a sealand traveller lite 110. Ive found some info, and apparently we should be using a special kind of loo roll. Is there anything that will help to breakdown and dissolve the andrex that we have used, as I assume tht this must be a contributing factor if not the complete cause.

Edited by kookie

Would a gentle prod with a strong thin stick be helpful - if your products of digestion are all compacted gently breaking the mass up into smaller pieces might help to get things moving as it were

Windows open, elbow length marigolds, swimming cap and a dust mask might help if you are feeling squeemish

edited to add, ive pulled a few bits off, and found its a sealand traveller lite 110. Ive found some info, and apparently we should be using a special kind of loo roll. Is there anything that will help to breakdown and dissolve the andrex that we have used, as I assume tht this must be a contributing factor if not the complete cause.

First rule of boating. Never buy posh loo roll. Cheaper the better as it won't block up your loo unlike premium brands. Can't remember where but I'm sure there was a other boaty forum where we discussed the dissolve values (pint of water, sheet of paper test) of loo roll endlessly for about 2 months. Tesco's value is good :-)

Hope you sort the problem.

D

I don't know if this will help or not :P

http://www.leesan.com/bundles/508+.pdf

Thanks for this. This is very similar to the literature I found.

It looks like the big stick jobbie will be the only way.

It didnt help that the water pressure at sawley on the pump out rinse was virtually nil at the time. Oh well oh um. I'll keep checking to see if anyone comes up with something less umpleasant than the big stick, open windows and rubber gloves.

Pond suppliers (often in garden centres) sell rubber gloves for cleaning out ponds. Really heavy duty rubber up to near elbows, then waterproof fabric nearly up to shoulders. Elastic bits at the end stop them slipping down when halfway through a job(bie).

Buy them with a loose fit - you don't want to be wrestling them off after clearing a blocked toilet.