Wet Room

Maverick

Featured Posts

Plans are afoot now that the season is over to convert my bathroom back into a wet room and reinstall the shower. Got a few options and budgets for the wall coverings. just one question tho. Previously the walls were covered in what is sold as vinyl floor covering.

Quicker, easier, cheaper and possibly less messy to apply than tiles. But what would it have been stuck on with back in the 80s when I beleive this was a popular method used.

Should I choose to go down this route do I use tile adhesive or what to adhere it to the walls?

Edited by Maverick

Plans are afoot now that the season is over to convert my bathroom back into a wet room and reinstall the shower. Got a few options and budgets for the wall coverings. just one question tho. Previously the walls were covered in what is sold as vinyl floor covering.

Quicker, easier, cheaper and possibly less messy to apply than tiles. But what would it have been stuck on with back in the 80s when I beleive this was a popular method used.

Should I choose to go down this route do I use tile adhesive or what to adhere it to the walls?

I used flooring adhesive PVA glue stuff.

Back in the eighties the most used/abused adhesive was evo-stick.

It is tricky to use as soon as the two surfaces meet they are BONDED. However, it can be spread in a thin layer to stick sheeting to surfaces, I used it to bond formica to blockboard for work tables.

I would'nt think what is currently availble is anything like the old stuff. It had such a strong much solvent base you could'nt work in an enclosed space without getting dizzyness, headaches, sickness and eventually passing out.

I suggest you speak to a carpet fitter as they bond some types of sheet floor coverings.

I used Evostik - much easier to use today because it is more jelly-like and doesn't 'string' so much. But you still get a luvverly buzz from using it. :blink::smiley_offtopic::blink:

In a black and red can available at the cash desk at B&Q. You'll need a lot of it to do a proper job.

I used Evostik - much easier to use today because it is more jelly-like and doesn't 'string' so much. But you still get a luvverly buzz from using it. :blink::smiley_offtopic::blink: In a black and red can available at the cash desk at B&Q. You'll need a lot of it to do a proper job.
Thats what I'm worried about Chris as its not cheap. May work out dearer than tiling. Was hoping to get a big tub of something not to expensive like tile adhesive or carpet adhesive or ???????????????????????
Back in the eighties the most used/abused adhesive was evo-stick. It is tricky to use as soon as the two surfaces meet they are BONDED. However, it can be spread in a thin layer to stick sheeting to surfaces, I used it to bond formica to blockboard for work tables. I would'nt think what is currently availble is anything like the old stuff. It had such a strong much solvent base you could'nt work in an enclosed space without getting dizzyness, headaches, sickness and eventually passing out.I suggest you speak to a carpet fitter as they bond some types of sheet floor coverings.
Sounds like you did a similar job as I did back in the 70s I was doing the same as a bench joiner. Did give you a hell of a buzz in confined spaces. Bit to expensive for the area I need to cover tho

Thats what I'm worried about Chris as its not cheap. May work out dearer than tiling. Was hoping to get a big tub of something not to expensive like tile adhesive or carpet adhesive or ???????????????????????Sounds like you did a similar job as I did back in the 70s I was doing the same as a bench joiner. Did give you a hell of a buzz in confined spaces. Bit to expensive for the area I need to cover tho

This might do the business for you Styccobond F3.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-X-F3-Styccobond-Adhesives-15-litres_W0QQitemZ330180471946QQihZ014QQcategoryZ20588QQcmdZViewItem

Thats what I'm worried about Chris as its not cheap. May work out dearer than tiling. Was hoping to get a big tub of something not to expensive like tile adhesive or carpet adhesive or ???????????????????????Sounds like you did a similar job as I did back in the 70s I was doing the same as a bench joiner. Did give you a hell of a buzz in confined spaces. Bit to expensive for the area I need to cover tho

it wasn't that 'spensive. I think a large tin cost about £15, covered about 8sq.m. with some left over. The Cushionflor thick spongy vinyl was also relatively cheap, much cheaper than tiles. I reckon the floor and waist-height sides of my wetroom cost less than £40 to do the lining. Biggest cost was the hang-over headache in the evening :smiley_offtopic:

it wasn't that 'spensive. I think a large tin cost about £15, covered about 8sq.m. with some left over. The Cushionflor thick spongy vinyl was also relatively cheap, much cheaper than tiles. I reckon the floor and waist-height sides of my wetroom cost less than £40 to do the lining. Biggest cost was the hang-over headache in the evening :smiley_offtopic:

Oh much cheaper than I thought Chris I'll check it out. You say waist high so what do you have on the walls above the yinyl? It must also be something waterproof yes?

Oh much cheaper than I thought Chris I'll check it out. You say waist high so what do you have on the walls above the yinyl? It must also be something waterproof yes?

Varnished ply. I expect the lower part to get much more saturated.

A bit easier on the eye to have wood at higher level. The cushionflor is blue mosaic tile pattern. I think mosaic to ceiling level looks a bit naff, even though most of the interior design programmes on TV seem to make a feature of it. see the picture in my gallery:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...=si&img=562

Edited by chris polley

Varnished ply. I expect the lower part to get much more saturated.

A bit easier on the eye to have wood at higher level. The cushionflor is blue mosaic tile pattern. I think mosaic to ceiling level looks a bit naff, even though most of the interior design programmes on TV seem to make a feature of it. see the picture in my gallery:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...=si&img=562

Looks good Chris. Notice the pics are from the build stage. Has it been put to much test yet and if so has the plywood withstood the water problem

Looks good Chris. Notice the pics are from the build stage. Has it been put to much test yet and if so has the plywood withstood the water problem

not yet but there is no reason why varnished plywood will not survive if thoroughly done and well ventilated. I'm sure ventilation is the key.

I would not recommend a wetroom if there were 4 occupants, the place would never get a chance to dry out!