Eberspacher water pump.

canute

Featured Posts

Hi again boating folks,

I am asking a questions which I previously raised through a different heading, in the hope off attract a Eberspacher guru!

1) Does the Eberspacher Hydronic 10 (2009) model have the facility to run the water pump 'stand alone' thus circulating the water without igniting the boiler? 

2) What is being referred to on; pages 17 & 18 of the installation manual. There is an additional relay “(2.5.18) Switch-over relay for water circulation system, to be fitted by customer if required”, could this be what is required, to run the "PUMP ONLY" unfortunately no other information is provided?

I have asked the manufacturer through their on-line portal but as yet have had no reply, any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

13 minutes ago, canute said:

Hi again boating folks,

I am asking a questions which I previously raised through a different heading, in the hope off attract a Eberspacher guru!

1) Does the Eberspacher Hydronic 10 (2009) model have the facility to run the water pump 'stand alone' thus circulating the water without igniting the boiler? 

2) What is being referred to on; pages 17 & 18 of the installation manual. There is an additional relay “(2.5.18) Switch-over relay for water circulation system, to be fitted by customer if required”, could this be what is required, to run the "PUMP ONLY" unfortunately no other information is provided?

I have asked the manufacturer through their on-line portal but as yet have had no reply, any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

I understand what you are trying to do but I would use a separate pump, much cheaper to replace than repairing an Eber.

Its also simpler to plumb, easier to fault find, easier to get the right flow rate and probably more efficient.

Hi Tracy D'arth

I understand your logic, however installing another pump is going to involve I/V's, NRV's, & a Bypass, plus another pump with associated wiring and switching. If I can run the Eberspachers pump stand alone, all I would need to do is install a heat exchanger on the engine cooling system and Bob's your uncle, my guess being that the pump wouldn't know where the heats being supplied from, so would presumably have the same life expectancy as if the Eberspacher was doing the heating? Incidentally if I do have to install a second pump, my intention was to install a second Eberspacher, thus building in redundancy if one should pack-up, although not knowing the price of these (German) pumps, I might end up eating my words.

If only I could find out;

2) What is being referred to on; pages 17 & 18 of the installation manual. There is an additional relay “(2.5.18) Switch-over relay for water circulation system, to be fitted by customer if required”, could this be what is required, to run the "PUMP ONLY" unfortunately no other information is provided?

Many thanks, all views welcome.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Updating my own findings. Yes you can run the Eberspacher pump stand alone. The way that I have wired it up is as follows;

1. Unplug the Eberspachers pump.
  2. Purchase a compatible Eberspacher pumps plug and socket.
  3. Connect the socket to the previoulsy removed Eberspacher plug and extend the wiring to an ON - ON two position changeover switch.
  4. From the changeover switch extend wiring back to the Eberspacher and install the new Plug, then plug it into the pump. you now have a switch that can turn the pump off.
  5. Wire in a separate 5amp 24Vdc supply, originating from the Eberspachers circuit breaker.
  6. Wire in an amber panel warning lamp beside the changeover switch.
  7. Have a electrical panel made for the two position changeover switch and panel warning lamp. Panel heading engraved "CABIN SPACE HEATING" position one engraved "DEFAULT DIESEL BOILER", Position two engraved "FREE HEAT ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING" and the warning lamp engraved "PUMP RUNNING".

How it works;

1. Eberspacher not calling for heat, two position changeover switch is in position 1, no panel lamp illuminated.
  2. Eberspacher calling for heat, two position changeover switch still in position 1, panel lamp now illuminated, via the Eberspachers feed up to the newly installed changeover switch and back to the pump.
  3. When cruising or running the engine the Eberspacher is no longer required to space heat, this function can now be performed by switching the changeover switch into position 2 "FREE HEAT ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING", thus utilising just the Eberspachers pump, the otherwise wasted engine heat being passed, first through the calorifier and then via the flat plate heat exchanger installed into the calorifiers return, thus transferring it's heat into the Eberspachers heating circuit, pump running and panel lamp illuminated.
  4. The panel lamp will continue to be illuminated when the engine is turned off, thus alerting the skipper to return the changeover switch to position 1 "DEFAULT DIESEL BOILER".

Installed in this way the Panel Lamp will always be illuminate whenever the pump is running, consuming only an additional 20mA and ensuring that the switch is always returned to the default position, upon vacating the helm. Taking the separate 24Vdc from the Eberspachers own circuit breaker ensures that there is no voltage at the pump should the breaker trip or be turned off for maintenance.

If for any reason you wanted revert back, because the pumps plug was never cut off you can simply un-plug the changeover switch extension and plug the pump back in.

Boat heating panel.pdf