Perfect conditions for Witham navigable drains

Dave123

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, MartynG said:

I think the problem last week was the amount of fresh water coming down the river . Less so this week I believe ?

Neaps is not necessarily a  benefit  at West Stockwith as  the reduction in downstream flow will be less pronounced. 

Springs will more likely cause a period of slack water at West Stockwith.

Leave Torksey  tomorrow to aim for arrival at high tide West Stockwith ideally at high water which  should be  1:50 to 2pm . But check  in advance with the lock keeper, if you haven't already ,  who may give you a more accurate time  based on local knowledge . You could go early and wait at the pontoon at Gainsborough if you prefer .

I'm possibly causing some confusion by writing these posts a bit after the event, now safely at Keadby having broken the journey by staying overnight at W Stockwith :) Thanks for the tips though. I had the chance to chat to the lockie before leaving and asked about trying to arrive at W Stockwith for high tide/slack water (coming from Torksey) and he was doubtful, it would involve pushing the incoming flood perhaps for some time, or going past at low water to turn at some point and come back up with the flood? In the end turning into both locks wasn't as bad as I'd thought and I'd probably rather do it this way again than spending longer on the river pushing flows at high revs. Light winds and no coaster moored at Keadby definitely helped too :)

• Greenie 1