Aluminium Windlass

bassett

Featured Posts

Just seen your video - looks the business on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANAL-BOAT-NARROWBOA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris

Wicked - just bought the fancy stainless steel version and can't wait for it to arrive - that reckons it is even stronger, the video shows him picking up a pick axe from the pointy end !

Best keep it out of the way of the computer me-thinks

Am I the only person ever to have gone fishing for a Sea Searcher with a windlass tied to a piece of rope ?

No you aren't.

Years ago we came up Buckby flight with a boat whose crew kept dropping things. At the top lock they lost their 6th and final windlass; I lent them my sea-searcher and they threw it in then asked me "what happens now". They must have had a vision of it sitting on the bottom throwing windlasses up to them!

So I tied my own windlass to a rope and threw it in, it came up with the sea-searcher attached on the first attempt. But we never did find their windlass.

Postscript: soon after that they followed us into Braunston tunnel. After a hubdres yards their spotlamp fell in the water, followed by their boathook when they tried to retrieve the lamp. Then they had to use torches - but dropped one on the water almost straight away.

Postscript: soon after that they followed us into Braunston tunnel. After a hubdres yards their spotlamp fell in the water, followed by their boathook when they tried to retrieve the lamp. Then they had to use torches - but dropped one on the water almost straight away.

Haha!

- The main story i had heard, but that really does begger beaif on a whole diffrent leval!

Daniel

Much happiness - new magnet from the man himself arrived and I can confirm the power of the thing.

Dragged up a whole car brake drum assembly and more usefully a nice windlass - one of the typical hire boat jobs with the plastic sleeve. Caught by the end where the plastic sleeve ended.

More fishing ahead methinks :D)

Still waiting to here whether the jubilee clip idea actually works on an aluminium windlass, I know lots of people say it does but that's not quite the same thing.

Friend on ouir marina tells me he has dropped one, and where. I've promised to go and have a go but it will need a drive there.

I suspect that the biggest problem isn't whether it could pick it up from a force point of view but whether you are lucky enough to get the magnet close enough to attract. About 1" seems to be the maximum reasonable distance and that is a pretty small diameter to aim at when you can't see where you are aiming.

That said I could always get an ally windlass and put a jubilee clip on and try whilst here - as could anyone I 'spose. If I do it I'll video it.

Still waiting to here whether the jubilee clip idea actually works on an aluminium windlass, I know lots of people say it does but that's not quite the same thing.
Yes it does. But for those of you more sceptical than John . . . .Have uploaded a video of it to YouTube. Look for 'dunton double magnet' as the keywords. Not sure how long it takes for these things to appear on the site but it is on its way.If anyone doesn't feel the need to have video proof please feel free not to visit it.
There is something about the members of this forum, rather than carry out a simple experiment they prefer to discuss the topic endlessly.. We don't need a video, I for one would be more than happy to accept someones word.
Which goes eactly against what you said in your previous post. where you say exactly the opposite :cheers: