Litter Picking day

StoneHenge

Featured Posts

At the weekend we moved from the linear we had been on for the week and went to pump out and fill up, and went off for a trip to stay on another visitor moorings. Very nice, pretty place, but we had noticed that it has only been the last year that these have been used more regularly.

Not only have they been used more often, but I think because there are a few 'regulars' it has encouraged more visitors to the canal to use them as well (safety in numbers and all that).

However we noticed that the towpath bushes were starting to look a little 'messy'. We suspect a lot of it is people mooring up for a weekend doing a bit of work, and getting rid of what they decided they didn't want.

Well, I for gone love visiting those moorings, as it's such a pretty place. It would only take one person (dog walker, rambler, cyclist, fisherman/woman or concerned boater) to complain about the mess, and you never know what would happen to the moorings.

Anyway we decided to do a big clean up on Sunday to keep the place looking nice. No, we didn't have to, but I doubt anyone else would either.

So we had two big bags of general rubbish (we are talking a 200 yard stretch), loads of old insulation foam, a leisure battery, an old chimney, cupboard doors, various pieces of wood and plastic and goodness knows what else hubby pulled out.

It was disgusting. We took it all down the tip and now it looks good, but it did make me feel ashamed because it was all boat orientated so it can't be blamed on someone else. Yes, I've had my momments with careless dog walkers, but most people respect the towpaths and waterways. Just the thought that some selfish boater would see fit to dump things like that in the bushes because they coudln't be bothered to find a bin or take things to a tip frankly disgusts me.

I can only imagine we will be doing the same again in another year.

Good for you. I'm sure we all have discarded the odd sweet wrapper (or car or settee for some :lol: ) however when I'm out I sometimes pick up the odd bit of litter and put it in the bin. Main reason ......... because this is a poke in the eye to all the selfish inconsiderate scrotes in the world ...... be it from the man/woman who nicks your parking spot you're about to go in, to the worst murderer/offender of any kind.

Good for you stonehenge, I hate litter of any kind but boaters crapping on their own doorstep seems particularly out of order. And the culprits neither know nor care that you`ve gone to the trouble of clearing up behind them, they`ll just enjoy their lovely tidy canal next time their passing.

I remember being on the avon a few years ago just after some really bad floods had subsided and the rubbish suspended on the bushes and trees was like nothing I`d ever seen before, truly shocking, why It`s so hard to put something in a bin or take it home is beyond me.

Please let me buy you a virtual pint.

Andy

I think we were moored up a few boats along from you on Saturday night, and if we were in the same place (Basin Bridge on the Ashby) I can confirm that it is indeed an excellent spot. Thank you for helping to keep it that way.

this problem of boaters dumping unwanted fitting and furniture it seems to be getting worse.

i have noticed a lot of portable tv sets in the water since people began changing to the lcd flatscreen sets.

by plank lane on the leigh branch near the bridge it looks like someone has gutted the boats galley and dumped it in the bush.

a boat that is moored 100 yrds from the lift bridge and the pile of rubbish looked like it had been having work done to its galley , i seen this as the scrote threw open his side doors to ask me if i did not know to slow down passing moored boats.

my stern had barely passed the bridge and the bw staff who operate it so how i managed to pick up enough speed in 100 yrds to upset his boat i dont know , maybe he was using his spirit level fitting a new kitchen.

his engine and prop were running while tied to the bank. so we can assume he would not be breaking any rules.