Stanley Ferry to Bank Newton & Back solo (sort of)

judith

Featured Posts

Having written this once and watched it disappear I'll try again!

i bought Snapdragon a year ago and having used her mostly as a static floating home decided it was time to go for the solo trip, which was to head up the Leeds/Liverpool canal from Stanley Ferry. I set off on the Monday and made good progress onto the river from Wood Nook having successfully negotiated the first 3 electric locks. My beautiful dog Floss, managed to fall off the back of the boat but survived the surprise of an unexpected dip and I got her back on board by dint of grabbing the scruff of her neck and getting soaked in the process! I teamed up with 4 Ladies who Lunch on Fo' Restin' who kindly let me tag along with them to Leeds Armouries where we all moored up for the night.

I left there the following morning, round the corner to my first solo manual lock. Another boat was coming down and as the water was at their level I offered to help lock them through if they would return the favour. This was okay but did they help? did they heck so I was left to sort the lock out myself. I was stuck there for an hour and a half trying to work out what wasn't shut as the lock wouldn't fill properly, despite checking everything available to see why water was pouring out of the bottom. Eventually, in desperation and offers of help from 2 stray window cleaners I contacted BW who sent a nice man round to sort it out. It seems the female half of the previous boat had left a paddle open (moral- check, check and check again). He sent me on my way with a roving lock keeper through the next three locks, which made up a little time and I progressed nicely through, past Newlay locks and the first 6 swing bridges, at the first discovering that the business end is on the opposite side to the mooring. Batting your eyelashes works wonders as I hadn't yet worked out how to do them on my own! this advice came later from friends who are lucky enough to own a boat on the Broads.

I reached Apperley Bridge Marina and decided that was enough for the day. However as I pulled into the side the boat refused to move either forwards or back. Fortunately a family of boaters pulled me in and went through various options but advised seeing the people in the marina office the next morning. At 9.00am Simon arrived and on hearing the problem asked if I'd checked the weed hatch, which I hadn't. It took him 20 minutes to break into it with a hammer and chisel so I'd have had NO chance if it took a man with muscles that length of time. It would appear that the previous owner had either never opened the weed hatch or certainly had not done so for some time as the tape came away in bits and in his wisdom he had also painted round the seal. The propellor was racked round with plastic bags so that was that problem solved I had also not had the use of the inverter, despite checks and I was more bothered that I was unable to charge up my mobile 'phone (a small essential in this day and age and I didn't have any semaphore flags with me. Not that they would have been much good as I could only ever remember up to 'H'). He sent for Paul, the engineer, to check it out for me but a more pressing problem was that he discovered an engine mounting had sheared-an essential repair. He then returned his attention to the inverter and eventually discovered that one of the panel switches was working the immersion heater. I knew one switch should have been off but as I'm not on mains electric had forgotten which one and why.

I left Apperley Bridge and went into the first lock (a double one). Did the first on my own and then made the classic novice mistake of letting a bystanding grockle work the paddles for me. This he did SO successfully that he opened the gate paddles fully and wrecked my cratch cover, the resultant mess of plants, toolboxes etc taking two hours to clear up. Just as I finished Evening Standard (Carol and Kalvin) was coming up through the lock and we continued together mooring up below Field 3 lock overnight to wait for the lock keeper in the morning. Carol then got on her bike (a new twist to the Norman Tebbit phrase) and worked all the bridges to Salt's Mill.

We parted company there and I continued on to Bingley 3 & 5 Rise locks. This was definitely an experience but the next thing I knew I was having to be towed out of the fourth chamber of the 5 rise as once again the boat refused to move either forward or back. It turned out the drive plate was knackered so bye-bye any notion of saving my holiday pay for next year's expenses. I'd also decided by that point that I was going to have a day when I cried if something didn't go wrong.

The repair took until the next afternoon to finish and I was lucky enough to hook up with the last boat coming up the 5 rise. As there were two people on board that sorted out the next lot of swing bridges and we all reached Silsden where I moored up behind some friends from Stanley Ferry who were waiting for their prop shaft to be repaired. I set off alone the next morning and successfully tested my newly acquired solo swing bridge theory. At the next bridge I wasn't quite so successful as I managed to catch the prow of the boat under the ledge. However, I ignored the advice of a bystander to 'put the boat into reverse' er yeah that's going to achieve nothing as the boat's caught and what I really really need to do is put it gently into forward so it pushes the bridge open and releases the boat! Fortunately another boater appeared and said I was doing the right thing.

After that I made it to Skipton having utilised other boats all the way for the remaining swing bridges. I stayed in Skipton overnight and then decided that come hell or high water I was going up to Bank Newton where I stayed for two nights. On the second afternoon I walked up to East Marton for the obligatory cream tea and discovered that several boats were heading down towards Skipton the next day, so once again help with the swing bridges. When I got up in the morning to take Floss for her morning walk I bumped into Dave (Living the Dream) who had just emerged from his boat, complete with mug of tea. As his boat was pointing in the right direction I took a chance and asked if he was heading down the way. He decided I was somewhat in the guise of a guardian angel as he also was contemplating the dreaded swing bridges and was due to meet up with his wife at Gargrave. After going through the first two locks we took a lock keeper's advice and roped the boats together side by side and continued down to Skipton. Guess who did the swing bridges? I rediscovered muscles I'd forgotten I had since frequenting a gym.

By Gargrave Dave had arranged to meet Doreen at Bingley as we were making good time. In Skipton we stopped for fish & chips (had to be done!) and then continued on our merry way through Swing Bridge Alley. Just after Silsden we unroped the boats as neither engine was sounding very happy and continued in single file. This was after encountering the idiot youth driving a hire boat who decided against all appearances that it was a good idea not to acknowledge our right of way past some moorings. Dave was far politer than I would have been and refrained from using good basic Anglo Saxon.

After we'd unroped we encountered the next (electric) swing bridge-the notion being that Dave would operate it, I'd drive through, tie up and go back for his boat. A good idea but just as I got through and attempted to tie my boat up the wind took it and I discovered that tow ropes, fingers and iron bits don't mix! Dear Reader, all digits are intact and there wasn't too much blood but it gave me the opportunity to employ the Anglo Saxon I hadn't used previously. It didn't half hurt though. it was at this point that my engine decided to lose power but seemed to be okay at low revs so we continued on our merry way and moored up for the night not far from Bingley where Doreen (Dave's wife) caught up with us and helped with the locks. I was fated with those locks. Middle chamber of the 5 rise, Dave's boat squashed mine against the side and I went into a serious tilt - scarey or what! Fortunately the lock keeper, who is brilliant, saved the day but I didn't dare look inside at the mess. We moored for the night at the bottom of the 3 rise as Doreen was stopping over before heading off back to work the next day. I spent half the afternoon clearing up said mess but on the plus side it made me sort out the kitchen cupboard which I'd been meaning to do for the last 3 months. By the way Dave I DID have an aerosol horn but I hadn't unwrapped it-yes I've read your cruise diary!

The next day Doreen reluctantly headed off to work and Dave decided to inspect my engine bay to see if he could resolve the mysterious power loss. On opening up we were confronted with what looked like 2" of diesel in the bottom of the boat, but after utilising Dave's newly acquired stirrup pump into an empty container discovered that most of it was water but that the nuts on the fuel filter needed tightening so then it was onward to Rodley Bridge where we moored for the night. I got stuck in a shallow bit and Floss took another dive into the canal having misjudged the jump from the boat to the bank. She looked most dischuffed. We ate that night at the Railway- a lovely pub with good food, friendly staff and my beautiful ditzy dog was welcome too. the Rodley Barge doesn't do food at the weekend, so I was informed and the alternative (call me picky) didn't allow dogs and I was put off by the barman with the canteen medals down his T shirt.

The next morning we headed off for the Leeds stretch and just as we reached Newlay Locks Dave discovered that his alternator belt was bust. He being a large person and the engine bay being small this took 2 hours to repair, the both of us getting close up and personal upside down in the engine bay. Having completed this task we finally set off for Leeds, got into Granary Wharf and couldn't get out again, neither of us being able to open the gate. We struggled for an hour and gave in, deciding to try again in the morning. The sun was up, the sky was blue and so was the air. I contacted BW again only to be told that the lock keeper was unavailable but to keep trying and ring back if we still couldn't get out. At that point a guy appeared from below the lock to bring his boat through. We explained the problem but he said the lock was empty, fetched his boat through and out the other side. Aaargh! So- through that lock and into the first electric lock which promptly showed the fault light! Dave rang the emergency number and was told that the lock keeper was on his way (about 20 minutes) so coffee it was. An hour later we were still waiting and just as another phone call was being made 5 BW employees trolled across the bridge from the BW offices (yes it was that close) for their tea break and sorted out the problem for us.

After that it was plain sailing all the way to Castleford where we parted company. Dave to Barnby Dun and me to Stanley Ferry which I reached at 6.30pm, chucked some stuff in a bag and headed off to London arriving in time to celebrate my mum's birthday.

I must say this was a very steep learning curve, being the first time I'd made any kind of serious trip on my own. I've learnt more about the engine compartment than I thought possible and might even have an outside chance of replacing the alternator belt (or at least give directions). I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world and can't wait for the next time I've got available for a trip. It was also a distinct advantage that throughout all the traumas there was no rain and mostly brilliant sunshine plus meeting loads of lovely people.

PS I've also invested in a bilge pump but I just need to work out how to fit it

Great reading! Well done for doing it on your own, some of the swing bridges around Forge/Kirkstall are very stiff, and I'm glad to hear you got Simon's hands dirty at Apperley bridge after all he is an ordained Baptist minister, he's a very helpful chap. Certainly an eventful trip, we bought our boat Oak Moon from Stanley Ferry last November so I know the route quite well.

What an excellent cruise diary. Very enjoyable reading! I hope we hear more in the future.

We've done that section several times with our favourite hire boat, Devon, from Shire Cruisers.

However, it was much more fun when we did it with our Wet Betsy! We just lay flat in the boat and cruised UNDER the swing bridges, much to the consternation of following boats who thought we were going to open it for them!

Janet

What an excellent cruise diary. Very enjoyable reading! I hope we hear more in the future.

We've done that section several times with our favourite hire boat, Devon, from Shire Cruisers.

However, it was much more fun when we did it with our Wet Betsy! We just lay flat in the boat and cruised UNDER the swing bridges, much to the consternation of following boats who thought we were going to open it for them!

Janet

If you're interested Shire are selling Cambridge this autumn, you probably saw it in WW like I did, not open plan like Devon, but a nice boat, but no sitting area really just the tiny dinette so she'd need a bit of a chnange around.

I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a great experience and I agree Judith we both know a lot more about boat handling, engines, lock keepers telling us porkies and the Railway Pub is good as you say. Unwrap the bloody horn next time you go through Bingley 5 rise or Barry will be having words!!!

Dave

cheeky bugger!