Life jackets question

Acorn

Featured Posts

can anyone tell me that when the lifejacket has been activated does it help to keep your head upright in the water., i will be buying the ones that are automatic. also once the gas has inflated the jacket where do you get a replacement and how much are they.

thanks

Acorn

A life jacket should keep you floating chest up, head out of the water.

- Hence the padding/airbags/boyancymaterial being on the front and under the neck only.

Boyancy aids give a far more general aid to floatation, and have pading/material on the front and back and non around the neck, as well as usally only being made of permanate floatation material, rather than air bags. And usally more easy to deal with than there foam lifejacket brothers, hence are suitable far small dingy work mainly.

- I have written past threads, with photos, if you search for boayancy aid.

Daniel

A life jacket should keep you floating chest up, head out of the water.

- Hence the padding/airbags/boyancymaterial being on the front and under the neck only.

Boyancy aids give a far more general aid to floatation, and have pading/material on the front and back and non around the neck, as well as usally only being made of permanate floatation material, rather than air bags. And usally more easy to deal with than there foam lifejacket brothers, hence are suitable far small dingy work mainly.

- I have written past threads, with photos, if you search for boayancy aid.

Daniel

sorry daniel i cant find the threads with the photos. can u send me a link to it please.

thanks

Acorn

Boyancy aids give a far more general aid to floatation

In my opinion, a bouyancy aid compensates for the difficulty in swiming while wearing clothing.

Great if you're a confident swimmer and you haven't knocked yourself out when falling in!

4303.jpg

The cylinders can be easily replaced, they remind me of the 'sodastream' canisters we used to use for making fizzy drinks.

Most places that do the jackets should sell the refills

This should be an easy site to remember acorn :smiley_offtopic:

http://www.acornengineer.co.uk/show_cat.php they list them in their SAFETY EQUIPMENT section

Edited by Scotty

In my opinion, a bouyancy aid compensates for the difficulty in swiming while wearing clothing.

Great if you're a confident swimmer and you haven't knocked yourself out when falling in!

4303.jpg

The cylinders can be easily replaced, they remind me of the 'sodastream' canisters we used to use for making fizzy drinks.

Most places that do the jackets should sell the refills

This should be an easy site to remember acorn :)

http://www.acornengineer.co.uk/show_cat.php they list them in their SAFETY EQUIPMENT section

thanks for that scotty and i do know that site i live near the place :smiley_offtopic:

acorn

If you are buying a life jacket try to get one with a strap that goes under the crotch as there are accounts of people losing lifejackets over their heads - the normal reaction when hitting the water is to raise your arms. We added crotch straps when this was pointed out to us by a sailing friend.

Turnbuttonboy

The thread is here, although the images seam to have failed!!!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...amp;hl=Buoyancy

Co2 inflated Lifejacket, maunal or automatic inflate

0000004050dc8.gif

Foam filled LifeJacket, which is becoming less popular. (due to the above)

spiral400eb2.jpg

Foam filled Bouyany aid, as i use when sailing. (got about three, identical to this)

max50nredjunoj2.gif

Daniel

If you are buying a life jacket try to get one with a strap that goes under the crotch as there are accounts of people losing lifejackets over their heads - the normal reaction when hitting the water is to raise your arms. We added crotch straps when this was pointed out to us by a sailing friend.

Turnbuttonboy

If you can't find one with crotch straps a suitable length of cord will do the job equally well.

Howard Anguish