Nice people.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Last Thursday I brought my boat back to Bardney for a while after taking it out and doing the bottom etc. I was about to come home, having cycled back and got the car at Bardney and a boat had just turned up. I said my hello's as usual, and he asked if I had a spare BW key, as they had lost theirs. As it happened I did have 2, so said they could have one. I know what it's like to be stuck.

He offered to pay first, however I knew they would appreciate it, plus it meant I would have buy another with the money. Anyway I said I'm sure they would think of a way of rewarding me, in a lighthearted voice as I passed.

Yesterday I visited my boat again, and after chatting to people for quite a while, found a delighful note thanking me for the key, along with 4 bottles of beer. It's certainly the thought that counts, as I value that far more than any money they would have left.

It's what boating.......in fact life is really about........ :):lol::D:D:D

Recently while out chugabout, starting down Atherstone locks on the Coventry and heading for Polesworth to meet Cheshire~Rose, we heard on the Towpath Telegraph that Glascote bottom lock was closed the following day for emergency repairs. This meant that we had to get through Glascote that evening and the micro-banter would have to be postponed.

We eventually reached Glascote around 8pm, to find 10 other boats in front of us.

There was a BW man controlling things at the bottom lock, who should have 'knocked off' at 7pm but stuck around 'til 8.30.

Problem was, with a damaged hinge and cill, the bottom gate was leaking faster than it could be filled and the lock could not be filled the last few inches.

BW man had lowered the pound between top and bottom locks by 8 inches, and when the bottom lock was around 4 inches from filled its top gate had to be forced open by half a dozen strong blokes, and the gate held open while the top lock was drained and the next boat crossed the short pound. All in all, quite a slow process.

As we would be last-but-one boat down, we were rather worried that everyone else would have descended and buggered off, but no, everyone moored up and returned to the lock, we all worked together and all boats were brought down.

Someone brought out cakes, the solo boater behind us shared our dinner, and we finally finished just before 11pm.

Yes, you meet some really nice people on the canals :)

Last Thursday I brought my boat back to Bardney for a while after taking it out and doing the bottom etc. I was about to come home, having cycled back and got the car at Bardney and a boat had just turned up. I said my hello's as usual, and he asked if I had a spare BW key, as they had lost theirs. As it happened I did have 2, so said they could have one. I know what it's like to be stuck.

He offered to pay first, however I knew they would appreciate it, plus it meant I would have buy another with the money. Anyway I said I'm sure they would think of a way of rewarding me, in a lighthearted voice as I passed.

Yesterday I visited my boat again, and after chatting to people for quite a while, found a delighful note thanking me for the key, along with 4 bottles of beer. It's certainly the thought that counts, as I value that far more than any money they would have left.

It's what boating.......in fact life is really about........ :):lol::D:D:D

malc

in future will you keep these sorts of encounters to yourself

and not come this forum telling us about them

this will only create the false impression that the inland waterways are in fact a great place to be and meet wonderful people

will you please restrict your posts to moans about engines being run too late

people overstaying on mooring

boats whizzing past causing mayhem etc etc

oh and old boats cluttering up the system with big dirty covers over them

you know the ones that might not have a licence

sorry to go on but anymore cheerful posts like this and i will be forced to put you on my ignore list

malc

this will only create the false impression that the inland waterways are in fact a great place to be and meet wonderful people

sorry to go on but anymore cheerful posts like this and i will be forced to put you on my ignore list

Brilliant post Cugsey; seriously brought tears to my eyes!

I think you've just encapsulated why I do what I do.

JOTW

ps. and Malc of course; can't forget Malc.

malc

Brilliant ........ :):lol::D:D:D:D .......... made my day.

Moley - does that mean we passed each other? If you were coming down the Coventry the day before it was closed, I was going up the day it was closed. Or did you go into Brum at Fazely?

malc

:):lol::D:D:D

Moley - does that mean we passed each other? If you were coming down the Coventry the day before it was closed, I was going up the day it was closed. Or did you go into Brum at Fazely?

Dunno, I think I'd have spotted you, we came up the Oxford from Hillmorton to Hawkesbury, then down the Coventry to Glascote on Tuesday 21st, then had the day at Drayton Manor on 22nd before meeting Rose and Dave ST10 at Hopwas, then on to Fradley, Gt. Haywood and Tixall on Thursday 23rd.

malc

:):lol::D

Dunno, I think I'd have spotted you, we came up the Oxford from Hillmorton to Hawkesbury, then down the Coventry to Glascote on Tuesday 21st, then had the day at Drayton Manor on 22nd before meeting Rose and Dave ST10 at Hopwas, then on to Fradley, Gt. Haywood and Tixall on Thursday 23rd.

[/quote

Glascote has been shut twice, so you were there the first time. I was there the Wednesday before the bank holiday.

I did wonder if I'd see anyone I knew from here etc. or rather if they would see me.......usually Barney is a dead giveaway, so people notice me, but I see and speak to so many people I usually forget if we've met before or not.

I did have my camera, but didn't take any pics for once.

Edited by Supermalc