USB modem and wireless router

Lesd

Featured Posts

Yep, just when you think you're up to date it all changes again!

I've just been on http://www.airtimemanager.co.uk/datacard/b...s_products.aspx

looking at vodafone's new 7.2Mb service on USB or ExpressCard, i can't see 7.2Mb being available outside of major cities though.

Certainly looks an attractive option IF you can get the coverage. I'd opt for the USB version as it might get a better signal from a USB extention lead (poss. safer than wandering around with a laptop).

Anyone found the limits of: "3GB monthly fair usage policy"?

Certainly looks an attractive option IF you can get the coverage. I'd opt for the USB version as it might get a better signal from a USB extention lead (poss. safer than wandering around with a laptop).

Anyone found the limits of: "3GB monthly fair usage policy"?

hi can i take it that to get internet on a boat you have to do it thru a mobile telephone

hi can i take it that to get internet on a boat you have to do it thru a mobile telephone

No you dont have to go through a mobile telephone which might be slow and expensive.

The link posted by Scotty refers to dedicated wireless modems which can achieve broadband speeds.

You now buy 3G HSPDA laptops which have provision to accept a SIM card which allows broadband speeds and VoIP doing away with the need for an additional card.

So my question is; will having the USB modem onboard cause problems with 3g reception ? I've heard of people dangling them out of windows but is that necessary / wise ?

Thanks for your help.

Les

So are all you USB modem users getting a good onboard signal or are you having to dangle the modem out of the window ?I've noticed my mobile phone only gets a signal when I stand infront of the windows, half way between and there virtually nothing, Im ondering if its the same with the modem ?

So are all you USB modem users getting a good onboard signal or are you having to dangle the modem out of the window ?I've noticed my mobile phone only gets a signal when I stand infront of the windows, half way between and there virtually nothing, Im ondering if its the same with the modem ?

There are two almost identical threads running on this - See Broadband on the move.

No you dont have to go through a mobile telephone which might be slow and expensive.

The link posted by Scotty refers to dedicated wireless modems which can achieve broadband speeds.

You now buy 3G HSPDA laptops which have provision to accept a SIM card which allows broadband speeds and VoIP doing away with the need for an additional card.

thanx sorry i know nothin but i will need to connect to internet thanx colin