Mussel trouble!

BigRoj

Featured Posts

Yesterday I removed the two engines that came on my boat and put a 30hp on it I had on my previous boat. It all went remarkably well, two off, one on, connect up, check everything, then check it again and slip it. Engine fired up first turn, and that should have told me something 'cos it's never done that before.

So, with tell-tale squirting nicely, I set off back to the marina. It was when I was in Meadow Lane lock that I noticed an awful lot of steam coming from the back of the boat. The tell-tale was chucking boiling water out, but the overheat light remained off.

I decided to carry on back to Colwick, albeit slowly, and kept an eye on the tell-tale. It was erratic, very temperamental.

So today I had a good look to see what the problem was. I had perceived it to be either the thermostat or the impeller, as the engine had been dry for 6 weeks.

Both these were fine.

What I think has happened is this:

Colwick marina has a bit of a rep for mussels growing everywhere. You have to scrape your hull every year, to get them off. In the past I have had to clear them from out of the water strainer, as they get in as embryos or whatever the equivalent is, latch on to the water gallerys and feed on the muck going through the engine.

There must have been quite a few in the inlet when the engine was taken off my old boat for storage. As it was out of the water the mussels died and released their hold on the gallerys. So when it was struck up for the first time, not only was water going through the engine but mussel shells as well, which eventually clumped and blocked the cooling circuit.

So, do you just put your engine in the water only when using it, leaving it tilted the rest of the time, or leave it in the water all the time. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Does anyone know the life cycle of the river mussel, and how to discourage it from squatting in your engine cooling system?

circuit.

Does anyone know the life cycle of the river mussel, and how to discourage it from squatting in your engine cooling system?

I would add some finely chopped garlic, parsley and shallots, some white wine, a little salt and black pepper and a good wodge of double cream to an isolated dose of coolant. Catch the output and you'll have perfect moules mariniere.

On the other hand, a fine mesh over the intake would help.

Cheers

SteveE

I would add some finely chopped garlic, parsley and shallots, some white wine, a little salt and black pepper and a good wodge of double cream to an isolated dose of coolant. Catch the output and you'll have perfect moules mariniere.

On the other hand, a fine mesh over the intake would help.

Cheers

SteveE

Nice one!! :(

This is a common problem for sea boats both with outboards and some of the outdrives, especialy thoes that cannot be swung or lifted out of the water.

There are numerous antifoul products that are designed to protect both the outer casings and some that will work on the internal waterways asa well.

I used an american antifoul paint designed for water cooling systems which used to give me a couple of years protection but can´t find it on the web now.

It HAS to be the right stuff though. Most antifouling treatments will damage the casings and waterways.

Question is are these products still allowed on freshwater rivers/canals?

Over to the experts

Edited by tidal