Shropshire Union 2007

HYBRID

Featured Posts

We arrived at Middlewich Narrowboats at 1.00pm Friday 20th July 2007 and reported a couple of hours early to the reception. After establishing our boat could be ready within an hour we set off to the nearest pub for a bite to eat, whilst the cleaning of 57 foot Semi trad “Rowan” continued. We returned to the boat yard an hour later and began unloading the contents of our car into the boat. I left the other crew to find spaces for all the food and gear whilst I studied the handbook and checked the inventory. We noted the bed arrangements were not correct and then spotted we needed extra pillows and duvets; this was easily resolved by the staff. After about an hour of chaos on board I handed in a signed form to say we were ready. The boat was facing the wrong way up the canal and with no winding hole near by and directly in front of us were locks we were anxious about losing valuable cruising time heading off in the wrong direction through busy locks as we hoped to make Barbridge Junction a four hour cruise for our first evening. I hadn’t handled a Narrowboat for 27 years (I was 13 the last time) so wasn’t confident at reversing the boat 200 yards around a shallow bend to Middlewich Junction. I ticked the box indicating we required instruction in boat handling and explained to the engineer demonstrating the boat systems that the instruction required was for reversing the boat.

Top bloke, no problem he said and five minutes later we are pointing in the correct direction and entering the first lock on the Shropshire Union Middlewich Branch Canal, the engineer had jumped ship and we are off.

Its 4.30pm and our self imposed schedule of Barbridge junction will be tight but still possible if I am to believe the online planner I have used to plan the entire trip.

We soon settle into a cruise that because of time constraints is a little faster than I would have hoped for, but were not causing any wash related problems.

By 7.30 the crew were hungry and had started preparing the evening meal in advance of arriving at Barbridge, unfortunately the timing wasn’t quite right so we stopped for a bite to eat between Minshull and Cholmondeston Locks.

I was eager to reach Barbridge Junction as missing our first target would make the second days target a little further away so we pressed on at a 600rpm crawl due to moored boats to try and make the junction in the failing light., we never made the junction as the sun began to set and we were still 20 minutes from the junction, we looked for a spot to overnight.

We found a quite section of canal and I started to steer towards the towpath, there was a boat moored a little further in front of us, as it became obvious to the guy on this boat was shouting and waving his arms at us, I dispatched a member of the crew to find out what the problem was, the message came back more up directly in front of him, there is a ledge along the towpath just under the water line which we will be banging up against all night, it was clear just in front of him so that was the spot.

We settled down to a few beers and reflected on our experiences so far.

Saturday 21/07/2007

We were up quite early due to the Cocker Spaniel among our crew taking great delight in running up and down the length of the boat waking everyone up because she was hungry.

Under way by 9.00am slowly passed the lines of moored boats up to the junction, a slight delay at the water point waiting for another boat to fill its tank, they were first time on their new boat and heading off up the Llangollen. I got to try my hand at my reversing whilst I gave way to some boats but pretty soon we were underway. I was surprised at the width of the canal, I suppose as the Shroppie was the last canal built they had learned a lot and had improved canal design to allow easy passage of boats. We passed the Llangollen and noted how quite it was not a boat in site, we later found out that during the day the canal had been dewatered and a boat had sunk in one of the locks, don’t really know if it was related but it was very quite.

Pretty soon we were being chased by some younger canal users in two day boats, they were having a ball but I would suspect their conduct may have upset a few people. We entered Nantwich and were surprised at the length of the moorings, a quick check with someone who looked like they knew the area ensured I stayed on the Shroppie and didn’t end up in the Marina.

We met our first traffic jam at Hack Green locks, two boats in front, the second being a private boat who’s skipper complained about the boat in front traveling too slowly, he had all the gear, bow thruster, two way radios for lock operating and a very shiny modern looking boat.

The locks split the group up again as we had to wait for a couple of boats traveling in the other direction.

As we approached Audlem Locks all we could see was a queue of boats, eager not to upset anyone, we asked at the back of the queue if they were waiting to use the locks, no carry on they said, so we did, we just cruised straight into the bottom lock no delay at all.

Just above lock three was the Shroppie Fly we had been told to stop here because the chips were fantastic, again, we were running against the clock as we wanted to make Market Drayton for the evening for a meal in the pub by the bridge, we managed a quick pint in the Fly and then proceeded up the rest of the flight. There had been a lot of flooding in the previous week, and the side currents as we entered the locks were very strong causing a few problems lining up with the lock. We established the safest way was to go as slow as possible so that any bump was as soft as possible and the structure of the lock could be used to guide the bow in. Unfortunately the dog took a dislike to the bumping in the locks so spent the remainder of the holiday off the boat whilst “locking”.

It appeared we had the Audlem flight to ourselves the only difficult part being, every lock was set against us and the top gate on each lock had been left open, but we managed the lot in less than three hours.

We cruised on and took in the Adderley Locks, we had had a good day, the sun had shone all day and we experienced no hold ups. Unfortunately time was once again against us and we were getting concerned about not being able to eat out due to arriving in Market Drayton too late. As we slowly made our way to Market Drayton it started to rain, we crawled passed the moored boats and moored near bridge 64.

The girls were sent off to book a table at the local whilst the guys secured the boat and took a shower.

For some bizarre reason the pub that had been recommended was closed so that was the end of that, the diesel stove was fired up and a meal was prepared on board. At this point I took the decision to modify our schedule so as to cut the pace a little and take in more of the surroundings.

Sunday 22/07/207

We are surprised at how much water we take on board again but are reassured that we can do this daily, we are under way again at 9.00am. The sun is shining and very shortly we arrive at Tyrley Locks, here we have a lot of trouble due to the cross current's taking the boat way off line, but again slowly does it. We feel a bit better because some more experienced boaters tell us how bad it is due to the recent flooding, and made worse by the pound above being filled by someone locking down. As we leave the second lock we notice someone ahead setting the locks for us, this helps no end. We discover the guy helping out is the Chairman from the Lichfield & Hatherton Canal trust who has come out for the day to help on the locks. He explains that all the planning issues surrounding the reinstatement of the canal have been resolved and the only hurdle the trust now face is funding. We say our farewell and thank him for his assistance and continue our holiday.

Feeling that we will never manage a meal off the boat we decide to stop for pub lunch at the next opportunity, the guide we are using shows a number of pubs along our route so with an eye on the clock we pull up at a pub I cannot remember the name of, whilst I secure the boat the others go ahead, when I arrive in the beer garden a pint is waiting for me, but the news the pub does not offer food brings with it a sense of irony.

I consult the guide and suggest if we head for Norbury Junction we should be able to get food there. We swiftly finish our refreshments and are soon pulling into Norbury Visitors moorings and manage to get lunch, before continuing to Gnosal where we tie up for the night.

Monday 23/07/2007

We take on more water, our intention today is to cruise to Brewood for refreshments at lunch time, turn around, and find somewhere to moor this time out in the countryside, the day went to plan, again we had superb weather, the scenery and mood of the canal in this area is fantastic.

I chose to wind south of Brewood, I was surprised that the winding hole had moored boats both in it and opposite; I committed myself to the maneuver without too much hesitation and managed about a five point turn, holding position in the hole to let some traffic past. I didn’t know but my crew on the bow had been quite concerned at how close I had put our bow to the boat moored in the hole, they estimated about two feet further would have been a collision. From the stern I had no idea it had been this close and would have said nearer six feet. Lesson learned then.

The holiday now took on a different feel, we were almost sad that we had turned around and were heading back, but at least now we were in front of the planned schedule and could take our time with the return journey.

We moored up away from civilisation somewhere near Church Eaton and lit the BBQ.

Tuesday 24/07/2007

Underway by around 10.00am and enjoying the slower pace, the boat is running at around 1100rpm and to be honest I have completely forgot about my life on dry land, we are all suffering some kind of land sickness, as every time we leave the boat we seem to imagine the ground in still moving and rocking. I am writing this from memory and to be honest today was a blur at 2mph, I remember it was very hot, I was now standing bare foot steering the boat, and I keep burning my toes on the brass plate on the deck marking the position of the battery isolator switch.

We chat to a couple from Canada who holiday each year for a month on the canals, and listen to the stories of their holidays. A pit stop again at Norbury Junction for Ice cream and the dog decides enough and jumps ship. I am amazed at the dirty looks we get as the dog leaves the boat unleashed for what must have been 40 seconds whilst she is retrieved from having her tummy tickled by some children. We pressed on through the Tyrley locks which were so much easier now the side currents had died down and we are exiting the locks rather than trying to enter them. We eventually moor in Market Drayton in the blazing sunshine and had a well deserved pint in the pub.

The boat brochure stated that with normal use the toilet holding tank would last a week, the boat was a six berth with five crew onboard, we must be abnormal because we had to spend the evening and night without a toilet as it needed pumping out. Fortunately we had a key for the BW facilities at Market Drayton which saved the day, literally.

Wednesday 25/07/2007

Got up and made enquiries about pump out facilities and found them at a boat yard near bridge 65, this delayed our start a little and we found that for the first time during the holiday we were traveling in a convoy of boats. I didn’t like this as I was being pressured to go faster than we needed. When the opportunity presented itself I slowed to let boats past. Couldn’t understand why people would rush towards locks, it seemed to me if you take your time getting there chances are there’s no queue.

Earlier in holiday we were told to try the chips at the Shroppie Fly, it was no coincidence we would be passing its front door at lunch time, I can only say, don’t be put off by the prices in my view its worth the experience, you wont come away feeling hungry.

We took on more water outside the pub and continued down the flight. At this point during the holiday we started to sense a change in the feel of the canal, but on reflection this may have been because we were encountering more users. One particular boat owner protested at me pulling up 7 boat lengths in front of his moored position, I was only picking up the dog after a stroll along the tow path, he thought I was mooring for the night and made it quite clear I wasn’t welcome, anyway why would I want to moor near a boat that had signs on it claiming “live snakes onboard” I presume that it was a reference to its owners not the pets!

We continued to find a spot without any other boats in sight and had a lovely evening drinking wine and communicating with the passengers of a Virgin Hot air Balloon passing over our mooring.

Thursday 26/07/2007

This was our last day on the boat, we had to hand it back at 9.30am tomorrow, we had plenty of time so the throttle was set at 1000rpm and we trickled back along the canal, we were soon though Nantwich and shortly afterwards we were passing the now very busy junction with the Llangollen.

In what seemed like moments later I was tying to the mooring rings outside the Barbridge Inn and enjoying a nice pint of Speckled Hen in the sunshine, with just water to take onboard one more time at the junction and then an easy stretch to Middlewich with the reward of Fish and Chips at the end, we relaxed our way back.

We left the final lock until the following morning as it is only 200 yards from the boat yard and I did this single handed holding the boat in position in the lock using the bow line and even had to climb down the ladder in the lock to get back on the boat.

Everyone enjoyed the holiday and we will be back, but for two weeks next time.

Hope you enjoyed the diary.

Enjoyed reading your diary. Knowing your route very well I was able to picture all you described. Beware the "next time" syndrome. We hired a boat for 1 week in 2001 on the Llangollen, hired again for 12 weeks in 2004 and then bought a boat which we cruise on for 15 weeks each year.

Cheers

Bill

Edited by Bill Kennedy