Jump to content

Matt B

Member
  • Posts

    29
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Previous Fields

  • Boat Name
    Hope
  • Boat Location
    Thames

Recent Profile Visitors

2742 profile views

Matt B's Achievements

0

Reputation

  1. Thanks all ....i have now stopped worrying. Matt
  2. Spot on, around 72 lb. However with the engine running the force needed drops to just over 50 lb. The manual doesn't have anything to say on whether the test is done with the engine running or not. I assume not? Matt
  3. Thanks Jenevers, I have borrowed a spring balance and will check it out at the weekend just to be sure. But reassuring to hear it sounds OK. Matt
  4. Thanks Tim, it certainly does that, good to know its generally what they do. Matt
  5. Hi Martin Thanks, I sure you are right. I will acquire a spring balance and back of the adjuster screws if needs be. I guess that the 70-75 lb at 2 ft is a more accurate measure that the adjustment is correct than counting the turns on an adjuster screw. cheers Matt
  6. Hi looking for a bit of advice. Having adjusted the 4 adjuster screws on the ahead clutch I am not happy with the results. the gearbox goes into gear OK but coming out of gear there is quite a thump as if the whole lot has been under too much pressure. I haven't tested the pressure needed to engage the gear (as I haven't got hold of a spring balance yet) , the manual suggests it should take 70-75 lb at 2 feet but it doesn't feel excessive. That said this is the only 2UC I have experience of. I have carefully followed the procedure in the manual (three times now) and it may be fine but.......... I wasn't keen on readjusting with say 1 rather than the proscribed 1.5 turns as I don't want the plates slipping. One thing I have noticed is that with the 4 adjuster screws fully out (ie not projecting beyond the inside face of the levers) when I move the clutch sleeve forward into the in gear position the levers start to move the plungers in slightly. Again, this may be fine but..... I decided to adjust the gear in the first place as it was always a bit fierce coming out of gear. Think I have made matters worse. cheers Matt
  7. Thanks, we think so too. Chatting to one of the chaps who's been here a while, the ferry chain was removed only a few years ago. Matt
  8. Hi Magnetman Still here, lurking around, thanks for the link and info (will have a read when im not supposed to be working). I was thinking about the way the ferry might have worked across the river, when the river was in flood im sure that there would have been demand for a ferry. If one end of the setting pole was fixed about the pivot point on the ferry and the business end was set onto the bank downstream the current could be used to push the ferry away from the bank. I wonder if they used a rope or chain to operate as a pendulum ferry, may have been possible in flood conditions when there was unlikely to be much traffic?
  9. Having finally managed to get the shoes fitting nicely all the way around (using thinnest feeler gauge to check contact/high spots, i have finally got the whole thing back together, engine back in and re aligned and all seems good. As a bonus, having had the bearing housing at the forward end of the reduction box sleeved the whole plot runs much quieter that before. We are yet to venture out but having run in forward and reverse for a while, so far so good. having to remove the reduction box (and therefore the engine) to lift the top half of the gear case off seems a bit daft as replacing the top 4 studs with bolts would solve this but perhaps there is a good reason for using studs rather than bolts! Thanks for interest and advice, much appreciated. Fingers crossed for first trip out.
  10. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  11. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  12. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  13. Yes, I think so. Although there was very nearly 1/4" left of the old ones and all the rivets had been scraping on the drum, so Im a bit perplexed.
  14. Yes, and it wasn't great, but with a bit of work its getting there. Its taken hours to get just one of them right shaving it down with a rasp (now very blunt) and the edge of a large chisel to hone it down. Ive been using the drum with a smear of oil as a guide to find the high spots. Im a bit worried about it all to be honest, dont want another broken shoe. I guess as long as the pad touches evenly all around and there is the specified play in the hinge block it should be fine. What can possibly go wrong
  15. Yep, very clear about that one
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.